CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What the heck is this part?

TDK

This rubber part has been in the trunk for years and I'm stumped - to where it belongs. It has a slight overspray of the caddy color on it.

There does not seem to be any open spot for it in the trunk and everytihing works OK.

I found it again while cleaning up afer hauling a leaf blower/vac around (that opened up the bag) yuck!

Instead of pitching it out - I thought I'd ask the experts...

Sorry for the crappy picture. There is no good way to preview and I never seem to get the ^% pixel size right. :angry: That project would be a nice how-to for someone (like you guys that somehow post those stunning pics)

Thanks in advance :)

ps I already know the things next to it - are my keys/fob (thought I better note that before I get it - back at me) :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Davedog,

It does not (edited) seem to be a broken section of weatherstriping or whatever. :unsure:

Prize for ID''ing it?

How about the part itself? ;)

Hey, there is never any water in the trunk. Maybe this is the elusive "water letter outer plug". Then again, Nevada only gets a few inches of rain every year. <_<

Tom Karen,

You just had to post the great pic huh? I'm getting a deep an abiding disgust with my own inability to post pics (and y'all are not helping) :D

Thanks really

Ah Tom,

You must be having a REALLY, REALLY GOOD day... :o

I'm fairly sure this is Friday Night ! (read your last post) LOL :lol:

Want to share your good day with the rest of us ? :rolleyes:

I'm still bummed about my inept pic postings :blink:

TDK,

Remove carefully that part from the trunk and see if it affects the driveability. :D

Switch your camera to the close proximity mode. Place the object on a surface so that the camera would not focus on something far behind the object. Do not get to close since you always can zoom in a good picyture, but if you confuse the focusing system of your camera getting to close to the object you'll get a poor picture and cannot improve it. Let the object occupy some 20% of the picture you'll get more flexibility this way to crop it to the desirable size.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Adallak,

I took the part out of the trunk, but it seems to just sit there. Apparently, I have not changed its driveability. :P

I also took a pic (with the flash and out of the trunk) duh! I also decided to back off the 10x optical zoom entirely.

Danged if I know if this pic will post any better or even at all. I may have to simply post a link to my FTP site. I know now that I got carried away with reducing pixels the first time.

This rubber part is torn at the junctions of the "Y" where it had joined to the inside diameter of the outer "U" shape. The base is a square painted sorta gray.

It does resemble some sort of bumper or vibration dampner, but just where it got bumped or vibed from "B T F O M". Maybe it was tossed inside by some deviant - just to torment me?

Oh well, I suppose we all have grander schemes for a Friday night (or is it still Saturday night - Tom K ?).

Regardless, its soon to be another member of the "extra parts" bin...

Thanks again folks,

It's an ancient Vedran symbol meaning "Live long and prosper." You'd know that if you watched Andromeda, or is it Star Trek? I dunno . . . Tuesday mornings are like that. It IS Tuesday, isn't it?

Regards,

Warren :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Hey TDK..... you've found it! I've been missing one for quite some time now. Don't know how it managed to get in your trunk though. :lol:

Seriously now, I've seen that piece before and I'll get back to you when I've figured out where. Does sort of looks like a Star Trek emblem. Perhaps Romulan?

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

OOOOHHHHH!!!

the new pic explains it all now, I can clearly see what it is.

a paperweight for $1000 bills. Thanks for the new pic.

P.S.

on your digicam the option for "close up pics" is usually represented by a small flower symbol

send the rubber thing to me, I'll take a pic for you....I can do it!! See my resume below ;)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Ok, my guess is that its a bumper of some sort. It looks like the rectangular piece clips into the truck lid somewhere. It looks like a stand off to prevent vibration. What about for something to do with the jack or spare area. Is that paint on it?

Hmmm,

I am thinking a buffer for those 2 springs on each side, that open up the trunk?

I didn't check mine to verify, but thats my guess!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

AND the WINNER IS:

STS SCOTT !

I knew the new "background picture" would generate some responses... :P

When the trunk was open, the remaining installed part was so squished under the raised arm - that it was almost un-recognizable.

The trunk is stopping much smoother now. ;)

What a great site for Caddy knowledge, trivia and of course - witty repertoire...

I still don't know if this pic will post worth a flip, but here goes. <_<

Thanks all

Dave Dog - look again that's a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR BILL.

Apparently everybody had a bad Saturday night on Friday.

Archived