Suddenly my auto lock for the trunk doesn’t pull down any more. Not any sound from the auto pull down motor. I have looked in the manual for fuses but can’t find any. The trunk locks fine if I push down by hand. The auto opening works fine. Sounds to me there is a burned fuse or a switcher that not work. Any idea?

Thanks for answers. Looking forward to the how to and pix. I didn't find any info in owner or service manual so I don't know where to start troubleshooting. For example where is the pull down motor placed and switcher? The motor worked before, but after the car have stand still 5 months and I pushed down by hand it doesn't work longer. Don't know if the long time since use or the fact that I had closed the trunk by hand have someting do do with it. Doesn't get any error codes.

The pull down motor is on the body directly under the latch, you will have to pull out the plastic cover to get to it. The cover is held on with plastic push type pins and should come off fairly easily.

The motor is held on with (three?) bolts

As I side note, I replaced mine with one out of a delta 88, I just had to cut the Caddy connector and wire up the different (olds) one. Works great!

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

I am trying to think. there is a way to reset the motor. Open the trunk and you will see 2 switches. 1 on the lid near the latch and one at the motor. Try pressing the switch on the lid and see if the motor operates. If it does hold the switch till the motor stops.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Temporary Fix for Inoperative Trunk Pulldown Motor

I’ve done this on a couple of 80s and 90s GM and Ford vehicles and it works perfectly. The pulldown motor will no longer function, but the trunk lid will close completely. The trunk release feature is a separate function and will still work.

I recently had to do this for my father-in-law’s 94 Deville just before a huge storm that would have allowed a lot of water to enter his his trunk since the failure of this item leaves the trunk lid partially open. To top it off, all I had was a crescent wrench; thankfully he had the correct size Allen wrench.

Tools needed:

1. T10 star wrench or 3/32 Allen wrench (aka hex key)

2. 11 mm socket wrench (7/16 will also work)

Remove trim to gain access to the trunk pulldown assembly.

Remove two bolts holding pulldown assembly to metal bracket inside the trunk.

Use star wrench (or allen wrench/hex key) to remove the 1 screw that holds the black electrical portion to the clear part of the pulldown assembly.

Then use your fingernail or a small screw driver and lift up on the locking tab that holds the black electrical portion to the motor.

Now pull the black piece straight up and lay aside.

Next remove the two 11 mm bolts that hold the metal plate and latch to the clear plastic part of the trunk pulldown assembly.

Then pull the metal plate and latch straight up.

Now hold the gear (it is greasy) and turn the latch clockwise several turns. This will make the latch piece that holds the trunk closed to lower itself into the assembly like it did when it was working properly.

It has to be a complete turn so that the latch slides back into the grove of the clear plastic part of the assembly when you reattach it with the two bolts. The side with the tab has to be in the correct position (facing the correct way) in order to fit back into the clear plastic part of the assembly.

I cannot remember how many complete turns it takes to position the latch correctly so that it will catch the trunk lid lock—you just have to play with it and see. I want to say it is two complete turns.

Put the assembly back together (the two bolts that hold the plate and latch to the clear plastic part of the assembly). It is not necessary to put the black electrical portion of the assembly back on to see if the trunk latches. In fact, this part may be left off altogether. You will see what I mean when you perform this procedure.

Reattach the assembly to the bracket in the trunk and test the trunk lid for proper closure. If it does not catch, take it apart again and turn the latch counterclockwise as needed.

Finally, use a box top or towel under your work so you can see where all the pieces end up. Nothing flies apart, but you don’t want to lose anything during the process.

I still ask, didn't the 98-04STS not have the pull down? My 02 STS does not have that feature....97 as I believe was the last year

Edited by scott f
look1-1-1.jpg

Here is one with photo bucket links. Your model might not have this type of set up. Hope it helps.

Temporary Fix for Inoperative Trunk Pulldown Motor

I’ve done this on a couple of 80s and 90s GM and Ford vehicles and it works perfectly. The pulldown motor will no longer function, but the trunk lid will close completely. The trunk release feature is a separate function and will still work.

I recently had to do this for my father-in-law’s 94 Deville just before a huge storm that would have allowed a lot of water to enter his his trunk since the failure of this item leaves the trunk lid partially open. To top it off, all I had was a crescent wrench; thankfully he had the correct size Allen wrench.

Tools needed:

1. T10 star wrench or 3/32 Allen wrench (aka hex key)

2. 11 mm socket wrench (7/16 will also work)

Remove trim to gain access to the trunk pulldown assembly.

Remove two bolts holding pulldown assembly to metal bracket inside the trunk.

Use star wrench (or allen wrench/hex key) to remove the 1 screw that holds the black electrical portion to the clear part of the pulldown assembly.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/1CarXpert/Trunk%20pull%20down%20shots/1stscrewtoremoveone.jpg

Then use your fingernail or a small screw driver and lift up on the locking tab that holds the black electrical portion to the motor.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/1CarXpert/Trunk%20pull%20down%20shots/lockingtabtwo.jpg

Now pull the black piece straight up and lay aside.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/1CarXpert/Trunk%20pull%20down%20shots/electricalconnectorremovedthree.jpg

Next remove the two 11 mm bolts that hold the metal plate and latch to the clear plastic part of the trunk pulldown assembly.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/1CarXpert/Trunk%20pull%20down%20shots/twoboltstoberemovedfour.jpg

Then pull the metal plate and latch straight up.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/1CarXpert/Trunk%20pull%20down%20shots/pullstraightupfive.jpg

Now hold the gear (it is greasy) and turn the latch clockwise several turns. This will make the latch piece that holds the trunk closed to lower itself into the assembly like it did when it was working properly.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/1CarXpert/Trunk%20pull%20down%20shots/geartoholdsix.jpg

It has to be a complete turn so that the latch slides back into the grove of the clear plastic part of the assembly when you reattach it with the two bolts. The side with the tab has to be in the correct position (facing the correct way) in order to fit back into the clear plastic part of the assembly.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/1CarXpert/Trunk%20pull%20down%20shots/tabonlatchseven.jpg

I cannot remember how many complete turns it takes to position the latch correctly so that it will catch the trunk lid lock—you just have to play with it and see. I want to say it is two complete turns.

Put the assembly back together (the two bolts that hold the plate and latch to the clear plastic part of the assembly). It is not necessary to put the black electrical portion of the assembly back on to see if the trunk latches. In fact, this part may be left off altogether. You will see what I mean when you perform this procedure.

Reattach the assembly to the bracket in the trunk and test the trunk lid for proper closure. If it does not catch, take it apart again and turn the latch counterclockwise as needed.

Finally, use a box top or towel under your work so you can see where all the pieces end up. Nothing flies apart, but you don’t want to lose anything during the process.

• 1 month later...

I still ask, didn't the 98-04STS not have the pull down? My 02 STS does not have that feature....97 as I believe was the last year

I was only saying to wife yesterday I wish we had auto shut!! seeing this thread I was like WOW!!! fantastic!! we have got it!! then sadness set in lol!! I've a 2001 STS and pretty sure I don't have this, my previous F-Body GTA Trans-am had a cool soft shut feature, where it used to pull the last 2 inches to closed position, saving having to slam it..

I'm from the UK so easy pleased lol!!

Anyway rain has stopped so off to double check I've NOT got it

• 8 months later...

definately no auto pull down in those pics. it would be in the bottom of the trunk where the latch catches. shown in the third picture

GM FAN FOREVER

• 6 years later...

Hi;

I have a '94 Fleetwood Brougham. It has the trunk pull down feature but isn't working now after the car sat idle over the winter. Theses cars last forever BUT you have to drive them on a regular basis, I find. I bought a used replacement pull-down assembly and installed it, but got no joy. I have looked all over and cannot find the fuse for it to see if it's ok. In retrospect, I should have eliminated a fuse as a source of the problem first, maybe the replacement assembly wasn't needed. Anyhow, I checked the electrical and I do have power where it plugs into the pull-down assembly, so that would eliminate the possibility of a blown fuse, right ? (blown fuse = no power at plug-in connector). The plug-in connector attached to the car has ( from left to right) four wires, coloured black, green, red and orange. My second-hand replacement pull-down motor/connector has the same colours in the same positions, except no "red" wire, which is replaced with another black wire. No idea if this replacement plug-in connector having different coloured wires would cause any problem ? I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure. Bottom line is, I have spent hours outside trying to sort this issue but nothing I have tried has helped. Any idea's out there from readers who might have suggestions ?

Check the lid switch.

Located right at the latch. Manipulate it. BE sure it is plugged in.

Welcome To CaddyInfo Forum

GM FAN FOREVER