CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Clearing its throat

Today I took my 98 Deville for the required once in a while run. You know the drill 2nd gear 40-70 and repeat 10 times.. I noticed no smoke of any kind, white,black, or otherwise can I then assume because of no smoke that it really didnt need it ? I mean black smoke equals carbon build-up right ??

....I noticed no smoke of any kind, white,black, or otherwise can I then assume because of no smoke that it really didnt need it ?

Interpret that as a good result. If I did not see a cloud in the mirror after one or too bursts of WOT, I would consider the exercise complete.

I mean black smoke equals carbon build-up right ??

Truly black smoke = out-of-control rich mixture. A condition you are unlikely to see in a modern fuel injected engine that is driveable.

In my experience, any carbon buildup being eliminated during WOT produces a grayish to light brownish cloud in the mirror. Unmistakeable.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Today I took my 98 Deville for the required once in a while run. You know the drill 2nd gear 40-70 and repeat 10 times.. I noticed no smoke of any kind, white,black, or otherwise can I then assume because of no smoke that it really didnt need it ? I mean black smoke equals carbon build-up right ??

You really do not need to do it 10 times unless it has never been done before. Once a week or once a month should suffice.

Archived