CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Intercooler upgrades - gathering parts

http://www.amazon.com/Flex-lite-45321-6-Pass-Cooler

45201-800.jpg

This is the heat exchanger that one Tuner uses alone in place of the factory intercooler heat exchanger on the STS-V -- except that they use one with a 10" puller fan on it. On the dyno and on the street we have plenty of air flow so I am going without the fan.

The OEM heat exchanger is a small radiator, 24x14x.5 that is single pass with many water routes. This one has a single tube with 6 passes (the picture shown is a 4 pass version but the one ordered is 6)

I am thinking though the best ways to test this versus the OEM config.

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/?p=12331

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I like the idea of the six pass cooler... very much...B)

The larger the coolant tank.. and the more radiators you have for it to circulate thru, the greater volume of liquid you have.

The good part of that is, it will take longer for it to heat up.

The down side is, it will by correlation, take longer to cool back down.

As you know ... I am a fan of OVERKILL.... :D :D

If it were mine, I would probably put as many radiators, as many fans and as large a coolant tank as I could fit in.

Remember we have 110 degree days in the summer time...

Posted Image

I think the deterrent is how much time it takes to remove and replace the front clip in order to get into and work on the heat exchanger. For the trouble required people are tempted to just get in once and do what they plan to do final, and don't do any tests step by step.

I would really like to know if this HX instead of the stock makes a difference, or if this HX in serial with the stock makes more (or less) of a difference.

For trades, here is a way I am starting to think about this: every 10 degrees cooler is 1% power added, as a rule, so say 5 hp on this car. However, every 100 lbs added is 0.1 sec slower 0-60 mph. Further, every 10 hp is around 0.1 sec faster -- normally the thumbrule is 10 hp for 0.2 sec but the STS-V is heavier & higher output.

Does this made sense as a way to value or trade various solutions?

I am looking at how much cooler for how much added weight and how much effect on the IAT2 it makes, and so how much power. 30 lbs more water and radiator may slow the car down 0.03 sec but if it runs 20F cooler that adds 10 hp or 0.1 sec quicker 0-60, etc. Net -- 30lbs more radiator for 0.07 better 0-60 time. Hmm.

The actual gain per degree F may be higher on this car because it reacts so differently to hot vs cold air due to the sensitivity to supercharger heating.

Bruce

I tend to agree about the Supercharged engine being more sensitive to heat...

Just from what little I know and have read... a drop in temp on a supercharged car means a lot more than on a naturally aspirated car.

The ratio of gained HP goes up when it is supercharged.

Posted Image

The difference between cold air and hot air is the expected difference as well as up to 6 degrees of advance or more -- it will add a degree or two of advance at low IAT2 temps and subtract 4 or 5 at marginal IAT2 temps and more at high IAT2 temps. Which is why I am focused on IAT2 temperature cooling improvements...

Bruce

Photo0556-1024x768.jpg

I am still conflicted on how to install this. Choices are either install the new HX in place of the existing OEM radiator single pass HX or install the new HX in addition to the existing OEM radiator single pass HX. The advantage of the first choice is then I am set to add another heat exchanger under the bumper later if needed. The advantage of the 2nd choice is that we get the benefit of both exchangers in series, albeit at the cost of more resistance to flow.

The people using a variant of this HX are either using it alone, or with another front mounted heat exchanger in series. No one is using it in series with the OEM HX.

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/?p=12347

Bruce

That poses an interesting question....

"WHY" is no one using it in series with the OEM HX???

The answer to that ... assuming there "IS" an answer to that, could point to something we don't know or hadn't thought about.

Posted Image

Could be they tried it and it didn't help.

Could be that the power steering cooler attached the back of the bumper would have to be moved in order to make room for this cooler to sit in front of the OEM HX and that seemed unattractive.

I am not sure that it would have to be moved or not -- have to size things up with the nose off to tell really.

Bruce

Archived