CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Scary Stuff

stsjoe

:unsure: I thought it was taking kinda long for the heater to warm up in the morning now I know why :angry: there is a HOLE THE SIZE OF A BEER CAN in the plastic housing the blower motor sits in, on further inspection the whole plastic box has got stress cracks all over it! Turned the fan on high and you could blow dry your hair under the hood! The worst part is that the plastic has the consistency of pie crust for a lack of better example I poked it with my finger and it went right on thru! I've never used a heavy duty cleaner on the engine and its never been wrecked, anybody else seen this happen?(I hope not)

Thanks Joe

I have the EXACT same problem with my car. I assumed that the guys that put the new oil pan on the car before I bought it tilted the engine and mashed the box. I wonder if there is something else that could cause these to become so brittle. I stopped by the dealer just to ask about cost to replace and was told it looked like 14 hrs to change as the motor has to come out. I have duct tape all over the thing right now :( Can get the part from the bone yard for $20...just can't swap them out too easily.

Charles

Charles

Any plastic shielding or casing along the back firewall is very brittle on mine. I poked a small hole in a section with my finger and barely had to apply pressure to do it. Seems that one good pot hole in the road would cause the plastic to explode but it's still there. I'm careful not to bump or touch the plastic when I'm under the hood. Thank goodness for duct tape. ;)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

It is the actual HVAC case, Guru. It is the weirdest thing I have seen under a hood in a long time. It is so brittle that any pressure on it causes another break. Mine had chunks fall off that I patched with duct tape where I could reach. There are also cracks along the top that I feel air blow out of also.

Charles

I had the same problem with my 1996 SLS. About 1-2 years ago I posted my problem on the original board. I sent Guru photos... I finally pulled off most of the brittle plastic. Then, I made an aluminum cover to put over the whole by cutting it out from a soda can and used duct tape to hold it in place. Seemed to work okay but it was an eye sore. I used black spray paint to disguise it as best as I could. Most people didn't notice it and I left it that way for almost 2 years.

Another patch method is to scavange a scrap of plastic--old raidos, tv, toys, whatever firm sheet of plastic you can find. Cut a patch larger than the area, and use quick set epoxy to attach. (One method to hold it in place while the epoxy dries is with goose tape. You can also use hot glue at a few points to act as a tack.) Next, smear epoxy around the outer edge, let it dry, sand it to blend the seam, then paint the whole area. If you take your time, you can make a repair that no one will be able to see. Also, you can fabricate large areas, possibly the whole box using this tecnique.

Well I'm sorry to hear I'm not alone :( Thanks for the ideas I'll slide up to home depot and see if they have black duct tape! One last question though, there is a hole the size of a quarter under the blower facing the engine, plug it or should it be there?

Thanks again people

Joe

Archived