CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Motor Trend Announces Car of the Year.

Marika

Took HEMI model (SWEEEET!) out for a spin on Monday. Cool ride. They may come out with a coupe version in '06 or '07. I keep thinkin' a black one with tinted windows would look real nice in the garage parked next to the white Eldo.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Took HEMI model (SWEEEET!) out for a spin on Monday.  Cool ride.  They may come out with a coupe version in '06 or '07. I keep thinkin' a black one with tinted windows would look real nice in the garage parked next to the white Eldo.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving. I have been tough on the 300, but its not the 300 I am tough on its the manner in which they rate and award car of the year

I saw one today, and I was thinking how it makes so much more sense than the unstable SUVs... Its powerful, convenient for hauling stuff (the station wagon one) and its save from rollover... Mike

I think you people are too hard on the car. You know I am Die Hard Caddy but this car will kick most Caddy's azz and all caddy's azz in price range. the v8 is a 0 to 60 in 5 seconds out of the box. Available in 2WRWD or AWD. More options this year. I think the car is worthy of the title. If someone slaps a leather interior in that baby LOOK OUT!

Mike

Oh, and I forgot to say for the erlier post, taht Hemi is a term that notes the placement of the tip of the plug in the cylinder. A Hemi is a HEMI is a HEMI. In fact FORD has just come up with a similar gadget this year in their trucks taht places the tip of the plug also in the center of the combustion chamber.

Any you old motor heads that recall buying 50 spark plugs and using a marker and counting threads to get just the right fit for each cylinder? Then returning the plugs that did not line up in the cylinder with the gap towards the piston? If you had a HEMI you don't need to do that, same as with the new Ford style.

Mike

Oh, and I forgot to say for the erlier post, taht Hemi is a term that notes the placement of the tip of the plug in the cylinder.  A Hemi is a HEMI is a HEMI.  In fact FORD has just come up with a similar gadget this year in their trucks taht places the tip of the plug also in the center of the combustion chamber.

Any you old motor heads that recall buying 50 spark plugs and using a marker and counting threads to get just the right fit for each cylinder?  Then returning the plugs that did not line up in the cylinder with the gap towards the piston?  If you had a HEMI you don't need to do that, same as with the new Ford style. 

Mike

That description of a HEMI is wrong its the shape of the combustion chamber as follows:

The term HEMI references the hemispherical

combustion chambers in the engine's heads.

The chamber design puts the intake/exhaust

valves in-line, rather than side-by-side. This

allows for better flow of air through the head.

The spark plug in the center of the chamber

creates a better ignition of the fuel/air. Both

of these major aspects help make hemi-type

engines produce more efficiency and power.

While Mopar is not the only company to have

used a hemi-type engine, they have been the

most successful at mass-producing them for

the general public (and for the racing scene).

Please see this article, you will see that more people than just myself think the 300 is as the reviewer states " the new 300 is boxcar ugly. Especially when lined up, side-by-side, with the previous 300M and Chrysler Concours. Which, by the way, caused the automotive media to explode in a frenzy of admiring adjectives."

You will also note that HEMI is more of a marketing term "Nascar race Champion".

http://cars.about.com/od/designandstyle/a/hemi_critique.htm

Check this article and you will see that the new hemi is not actually a true hemi as per its 426-inch predecessor. See Cylinder Head paragraph, a hemi, is a hemi is not a hemi. It looks like a GOOD practical car that is a good substitute for an unsafe SUV I hope all manufactures start to produce this type of vehicle. The engine has a lot of potential also.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0403phr_hemi/

I think you people are too hard on the car.  You know I am Die Hard Caddy but this car will kick most Caddy's azz and all caddy's azz in price range.  the v8 is a 0 to 60 in 5 seconds out of the box.  Available in 2WRWD or AWD.  More options this year.  I think the car is worthy of the title.  If someone slaps a leather interior in that baby LOOK OUT! 

Mike

:lol::lol: Caddy does not have a car in that price range unless its a few years old... :lol:

The 300 is a car that should kick *smurf* on a Mustang or Camaro not a Cadillac. Now if I strip about 1000 pounds out of my interior to make it an equal race, I dont think it will be close.

In terms of engines I am very happy with the NORTHSTAR and where they have taken it development wise, its quite amazing in terms of technology, power, fuel efficiency, etc. The NS has been ranked as one of the "10 Best Engines in North America" by Ward's Auto World. It also beat out both Mercedes-Benz and BMW in horsepower per liter of displacement, fuel economy and required maintenance. This is a 272 cubic inch engine that produces 325 HP at good fuel economy? Thats 1.19 HP per CU IN! In the OLD DAYS, we were stunned when engines put out more than 1 HP per CU IN, like the 427 putting out 435 HP with three 2-barrels but they sucked gas.... and I think the HP ratings were liberal

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm

Yes I especially like its vintage styling

ROFLMAO!!

I used to drive one of those. Rattle Box!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

You know its funny, everyone and his brother jumps all over the new styling that Cadillac has promoted, everyone. And personally I think the 300s styling is equally as aggressively different and it's embraced with the press commenting like this

"Its popularity is widely seen as a victory for old-fashioned, "in your face" American styling, sparking the comment that "it's the first US-built, mainstream sedan in decades with bold, confident American styling."

PALEEZE give me a break it looks like a battering ram! What do you suppose the DRAG COEFFICIENT is on that BOX? So we are to love it as its picking up Mercedes gimmicks? The A6 would eat this car for lunch in an OBJECTIVE test. How much do you think they paid for this 'honor'?

I'll agree with Scotty on this one. Picking up Mercedes technology is definately NOT a plus if you've been following the repair rate for those cars. Mercedes is building junk and selling it at very high prices here in the states. Everyone I know who has had one, got rid of it the first chance they had. The Mercedes name plate didn't even make it into the top five for reliability based on the J.D. Power survey. Buick was number 1 for reliability followed by Lexus and Cadillac was number 4 or 5.

I have a friend in Louisiana who has a transmission repair shop, he loves Chrysler. It's the number 1 car in his 10 bay shop.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Or maybe its more like the Griswalds car from the movie Vacation :blink:

Oh wow...what a perfect match....LOLOLOL!!!! :lol:

Marika, don't encourage me :lol: Many here think I am to hard on this "Car of the Year" :rolleyes:

You're "passionate" about your arguments, no doubt about that. I can be the same way.

Car of the Year should be CAR OF THE YEAR. I'm still trying to figure out how that lunchbox won the title.... <_>

Ill take that as a compliment while knowing that I can get carried away. :D

I think you will agree however that the term car of the year should be broken down into finer categories. Like best SUV, Best under $25,000, Best 25,001 to $30,000 and Best $30,001 to $40,000 and best $40,001 and up. To choose a car, Car of the Year regardless of price? Like someone said before, this should have been Most Significant car of the year. Think about this in terms of computers could you imagine a computer at $1,000 beating a $3,000 computer to get Computer of the Year honors, seems pretty far fetched doesn't it? BUT you will get many people that are happy with a $1,000 computer doing word processing and would never use the power of the $3,000 computer and it would be wasted. How do you think Audi feels here losing to a $25,000 car, its sort of like the Yankees losing to the Kansas City Royals :lol::lol: Happy Thanksgiving, I made my Mince and Apple pies already this morning.... Yea!

Archived