CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

C5 Alive!

JasonA

My brother bought a '99 convert. a few months ago, and he just now came down from Virginia for the weekend so I can help him clean it up (he's not car-inclined). He keeps the outside clean, but he wants help detailing the engine, cleaning up the wheels/wheel wells, etc. I drove it last night (and probably will drive it much more this weekend) and I'm so impressed with the engine in that car. It's so flexible, power is there immediately, no matter what gear you're in or how fast you're going. Even driving in 4th at 45 mph (about 1500 rpm), floor the gas and the car just flat GOES. I couldn't break the tires loose very easily (I didn't drop the clutch)...they're just that sticky (275/40/18 for the rears I think). I've never ridden in a C4, but have heard the stories about how hard they ride, and how much the C5 improved on that. This car really does ride nice. Not Cadillac floaty (obviously), but very very good for a supreme sports car. The HUD is really nice. I'm also loving how familiar it feels, being a GM. It's got a DIC, just like our Caddys do. He drove down I-95 in 6th gear the whole way and averaged 30.1 mpg. He said at 80 in 6th, the engine isn't even turning 1500 rpm. Incredible! I thought my SLS was geared nice for the highway (about 2000 rpm @ 80). That double-overdrive transmission in the Vette REALLY has you idling down the road.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I agree, they are a very addicting car.

A few months ago I had a '03 Z06 for an evening. Words cannot describe this car.

Handling and performance is awesome.

I hear the C6 is even better.

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I've never ridden in a C4, but have heard the stories about how hard they ride, and how much the C5 improved on that. This car really does ride nice.

My Dad has a 2004 C5 coupe and I must say that they are very impressive cars. My 1986 Z51 coupe is extremely stiff and rides like $&%t compared to a C5. I hope to be able to add a C5 convertible to my collection in a few years.

Here are links to a couple of pics. I made another post on here about a polish i learned about on the corvette forums which gave a shine like I've never before seen, but I think everyone thinks it's some kind of scam post or something. Anyways, I'm enjoying my vette and also my CADDY!

Jeff

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/jpics19/DSC09659.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/jpics19/DSC09670.jpg

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Here's a picture of my fun ride for the weekend. What a car. I'm not going to say what I'm getting him for Christmas (in case he happens upon this site), but I will say it's got something to do with the C5. He's asking for a Hurst shifter from the folks for Christmas, so we'll be putting that in on Christmas weekend probably. The stock shifter leaves something to be desired. I missed 2nd gear more than once until I finally got used to it enough and now I'm able to consistently catch rubber into 2nd gear. :) What I'm most impressed with, though, is just cruising around in it. The car is so capable, everything but WOT is just a cake walk for this thing. Unless you've got it to the floor 24-7, it's not even breaking a sweat. I like having the oil temp display on the DIC -- and even as hard as I've been driving it this weekend, the oil temp never crested 200*F. I've also gotten 20.1 mpg...stellar for how I've been driving it!

post-3-1101050549.jpg

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived