CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C Question

chuckgann

I took my car to the dealer for an A/C leak test as I had the error, A/c Refrig. low, A/C Compressor off. They said it was leaking from the service port and that the schrader valve is not serviceable and that the whole dryer/accumulator had to be replaced to the tune of $460. I have not yet authorized the repair, as I wanted to confirm with the board. I have had a leaks in the same location on other cars in the past and the schrader valve was replaced very easily and quite cheaply too.

Remove the cap and look into the port. If you see a schrader type valve, it most likely can be replaced. If it looks like a small black ball, the port must be changed. The cap should seal the port. Check to make sure the o-ring/gasket is still present in the cap.

$460 to replace the accumulator is pricey.....the accumulator is typically in the $50-$70 range. Add a couple of o-rings and an evac/recharge and it shouldn't be more than $200......

If it doesn't leak rapidly, I would just top off the system with R-134a ocassionally and forget about it....You can buy a lot of R-134a for $460.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks Kevin. I am looking at the ticket now, it says leaking from low side service port and cycling switch. They said the accumlator had to be replaced as the service port did not have a servicable schrader valve. They have already vacuumed down and recharged the system with dye (as i declined the $460 accumlator and cycling switch repair) I asked that they replace the low side cap with a brand new one and double check that the schrader valve is not replacable, and replace it if it is. What do you think?

Sounds good to me. If the charge lasts a long time, you will be money ahead to top it off ocassionally.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived