Rckjaws10

1996 Deville Stereo Install

Hey everyone. My stock radio has been acting up for a while so I decided to install and aftermarket radio. So now I have taken all four speakers taken out alongside the stock radio. I have a harness that plugs into the factory one. Only problem is, I get no power to the new radio. I turn the key on and even start the car and still nothing. Is there something special I need to do in order for this to work? Also I have the regular stock radio, not the Bose or anything else. If anyone can help with this that would be great. I'm driving around with no door panels or stereo. Haha

Your first line of defense here should be the installation instructions that come with your radio that apply to your car. If you don't have them, check the manufacturer's web site for installation instructions; if you don't see them there, call them. If none are available from the manufacturer, get what you can (generic installation or whatever) and we will help where we can.

I'm looking at the 1997 FSM (almost certainly the same as the 1996 here) page 8A-150-2, for radio options U1L/UW6. Look on the option sheet in your spare tire compartment for the "U" factory options on your car as produced to make sure that this is the right diagram if things don't seem to make sense for your car and I'll move to the schematic for the radio option that you do have.

There is a 10 Amp RADIO/PHONE fuse in the trunk compartment fuse block that is hooked to the RAP bus (goes off with the key off after 10 minutes or when you open the car door, whichever comes first). The wire is labeled ORN. The two ground wires are BLK (no surprise there).

Be careful; there are two ORN/BLK wires, an done is the "16 volt reference" that you probably don't want to use at all unless your aftermarket installation instructions say to do so. The other is the main power (from the RAP) up to splice S305, where the radio takeoff is just ORN.

There are two data link wires, both PPL; you might try leaving both of them open and see if there are any codes, then try them connected together. If your radio installation instructions say different, follow the radio manual.

A dimmed power line comes in on a GRY wire. Use that where the radio installation instructions say to do so. If there is no mention of dimmed radio displays, leave the GRY wire open.

There is a DK BRN wire that goes to the power antenna system. Referring to page 8A-151-0 for the power antenna, I see no DK BRN wire at all. Oops. But there is a PNK wire coming from the RADIO that is labeled ANTENNA POWER that turns on the relay that operates the power antenna - this relay switches power from the 20 Amp ANTENNA FUSE in the trunk compartment fuse block that raises and lowers the antenna. So, the BRN wire must have 10 Volts on it when the radio is on, and nothing when the radio is off, to operate the antenna properly.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Is the 96 deville dash similar to the Seville? I like my smooth radio face area and know aftermarket installs usually look clunky. Not sure what deville console area looks like

what was wrong with the orginal unit? I have an extra one in excellent shape for sale.

I dont like aftermarket at all in Cadillacs. It is not as easy as most cars to install aftermarket stereo. I dont even attempt it.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Original units tape deck keeps pushing the tape out at random. For me to play my iPhone, and also the satellite radio I need to use the cassette. With an aftermarket unit I can have a single radio, with no wires and do not need to have another satellite unit taking up space on the dash.

Original units tape deck keeps pushing the tape out at random. For me to play my iPhone, and also the satellite radio I need to use the cassette. With an aftermarket unit I can have a single radio, with no wires and do not need to have another satellite unit taking up space on the dash.

If you are using the cassette to hold a wired cartridge to play an ipad, there is a sequence you can follow on your radio to "turn off" the cassette motor & tape jam sensor just for this purpose. I am away so I don't have my owners manual, but is is in the book in the radio section. it also stops the hiss that may be heard. This will definately stop the random eject of a cassette adapter.

Edited by winterset

On 3/23/2012 at 4:16 PM, Rckjaws10 said:

Hey everyone. My stock radio has been acting up for a while so I decided to install and aftermarket radio. So now I have taken all four speakers taken out alongside the stock radio. I have a harness that plugs into the factory one. Only problem is, I get no power to the new radio. I turn the key on and even start the car and still nothing. Is there something special I need to do in order for this to work? Also I have the regular stock radio, not the Bose or anything else. If anyone can help with this that would be great. I'm driving around with no door panels or stereo. Haha

Did u figure out I'm having a issue on installation also seems no one knows the answer. 

Two things occur to me:  the car's network connector (the PPL wire), and the three power connections:  always on (RED), on in start and run (PNK), and ground (BLK).  There are the speaker connections, too.  There is also the dimmed power connector (I forget the color) and the speaker connections.  I would start by making sure that the radio has a good ground, then the two hot connections.  If the factory radio has been flaky, I would check for cracked fuses.  If you have a voltmeter, check for A/C voltage across the speaker connections at the radio.

If there is a current real-world problem with a 1996 Deville, someone with a 1996 FSM can step up, or I can locate my 1997 FSM and scan the radio schematics to identify all the wires and their colors.

You may need to know the factory option for the stock radio.  The RPO numbers are on a sticker under the spare tire cover.  If that is missing, an internet search on your VIN may turn up such a list for your car.  The radio options are of the format U1x, where x is another letter or number, or, for premium radios, Unx, where n is another number besides 1.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.