CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The rear shocks on my 98 STS FE3 (cvrss, etc) seem to have finally popped a hole/cracked the air bags.

They're fine other than that (which sucks!).

I've got a spare set of shocks from a NON FE3 car in great shape though.

In looking at the Arnott ones, then seem to be just that! A set of bagged, non electronically dampened shocks that have a "bypass" module with them.

I'm thinking that if I were to figure out what signal the shock is sending back to the BCM (hook up my DSO to the shock and wiggle it?) and duplicate it, I'd be set?

That or.... anyone figure out how to fix the bags?! :D

The rear shocks on my 98 STS FE3 (cvrss, etc) seem to have finally popped a hole/cracked the air bags.

Your '98 STS should have (must have) two suspension RPOs; FE3 and F45.

The F45 part is the CVRSS (active shocks/struts).

Do not confuse the "active" function of the shocks/struts with the load-leveling (air bladder) function of the shocks. Apples and oranges.

I'm thinking that if I were to figure out what signal the shock is sending back to the BCM (hook up my DSO to the shock and wiggle it?) and duplicate it, I'd be set?

The shocks/struts (and the suspension position sensors) do not communicate with the BCM; they communicate with the CVRSS module.

On a budget, you could install the least expensive air bladder shocks you can find. And if they happen to be "passive" shocks, you can use a 4.7K Ohm resistor as a substitute for the solenoid coil that would no longer be present.

The above is not a recommendation. Only an option.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Your '98 STS should have (must have) two suspension RPOs; FE3 and F45.

The F45 part is the CVRSS (active shocks/struts).

Do not confuse the "active" function of the shocks/struts with the load-leveling (air bladder) function of the shocks. Apples and oranges.

On a budget, you could install the least expensive air bladder shocks you can find. And if they happen to be "passive" shocks, you can use a 4.7K Ohm resistor as a substitute for the solenoid coil that would no longer be present.

Oops - yup, got the fe3 & f45 parts backwards.

And yes - I realize the CVRSS & and the air bag/lift functions are separate.

As I was saying, I've already got a near new set of rear's from a non-f45 (vs fe3!) car.

And if there's no feedback from the shock, then the 4.7K resistor will work just fine!

(I assumed [incorrectly] that GM would be sneaky and have the shock talk to the upstream module)

I just got off the phone with a guy (who it turns out lives 5 min's from me!) wrecking a pristine '99 STS, but it sounds like it's going to be a real hassle to get anything from it... so I'm going to try this passive shock & resistor plan.

Thanks Jim!!

Archived