CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

struts

rockfangd

Hello all. looking to replace my front struts on my Seville. I see on rockauto the right front for $700.

I have to confirm if I have the FE1 suspension.

The question i have is that I see listings for monroe struts. They have the electrical portion. I am curious does it actually function like the original struts or does it just trick the system into thinking it is level?

the monroes are only $398 so I can afford to buy both sides.

I know this has been brought up before but I am looking to get struts before spring when I take the car out of storage

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Check the list of options on the option sheet for your car. It's in the spare tire compartment, probably on the inside of the lid. The FE1 and FE3 suspensions are very different, and they take different struts and shocks.

If the Rock Auto listing says that the shocks are for the FE1 suspension and they cost $398 apiece, they are the real deal. If you want shocks that just have a resistor there, go with Arnott and get all four corners for $600 - but I wouldn't do that to my car. Arnott is a good shock, but fooling the PCM is not nice, and Stabilitrak, ABS, and Traction Control may find a way to get even with you. I don't think Rock Auto carries Arnott.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I want original ride quality and dont want to try to fool the system.

That is why I am asking about the monroe ones that rockauto lists. they look just like the original struts. just alot cheaper

GM FAN FOREVER

Fe1 or fe3, wouldn't SLS or Sts answer that question? Or do some SLS cars have the upgraded shocks? When I bought my car buddy joked that I did buy a Sts? Duh. Why wimp out an get a SLS?

I'm not absolutely certain that you couldn't order an SLS with the FE3 suspension. That's why I ask people to check the option list in the spare tire compartment.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

thats why it is annoying when folks say they have seville with no model designation. its odd that a rare individual would even consider spending $400 on struts for a 14yr old car and fail to mention if he has a STS or SLS. you see folks selling their cars for 400 and than someone says he will spend 400 on struts. my car has FE3 but it is an STS.

I am nearly certain it has the FE1 suspension because it is SLS. But I have not checked the car yet.

I am still curious on the monroe struts though. I wonder if there is a wy to contact them to find out more. I am pending purchasing them but dont want to purchase till I know if the sensors are dummies or the correct sensors

part numbers are

40017 right front specialty strut

40016 left front specialty strut.

Monroe.

Below is a pic

post-12985-13301099803911_thumb.jpg

post-12985-13301100392013_thumb.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

First, pull up your spare tire cover and locate the FEn option on the list to determine what suspension you do have. Only then can the part number be crossed over to your car.

Monroe does not, to my knowledge, sell shocks or struts that have connectors that mimic the electronically controlled shocks and struts as Arnott does. As far as I have been able to determine, Monroe shocks and struts are OEM quality. My plan for my replacements was Monroe until AC/Delco offered close-out pricing on the FE3 struts.

The FE3 suspension is mandatory on the STS and ETC; it's part of the Touring package that includes the 300 hp engine, 3.71 final drive ratio, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, standard Stabilitrak from the first year (1997), etc. I'm not sure that the FE3 suspension is available on the SLS at all, but I'm not totally sure - that's why I say to check the option list for your car. The whole point of the SLS is to offer a luxury car with a luxury ride and driver experience; the Touring package is really not for those who want a luxury driving experience but those who want more performance and handling. The SLS also gets significantly better gas mileage, particularly on the highway, probably mostly due to the 3.11 final drive ratio and slightly milder engine tuning. Performance and handling of the SLS is no slouch, either, so going with your factory options in getting new parts is definitely a very good way to go. I've seen performance numbers on a well-tuned SLS that exceed those of the average STS.

In far suburbia East of Philly, my old car is of unknown make and model to nearly all drivers; most who think about it see it as a tired V6 in a huge car. I've had jelly-bean smog-pump Hondas and Toyotas try to kick sand in my face. My favorite incident was several years ago: there were two lanes at a red light in light traffic, a through lane and a right-hand-lane that petered out with a merge into the main lane in half a block to accommodate heavy traffic by reducing backed-up-traffic distance behind a long red light. A big new sport-ute with a V8 pulled up in the cheater lane. I would have ignored him, but three or four cars stopped behind us, all behind him in the cheater lane. So, I dropped the shifter down to 2, switched feet on the brake so my right foot was on the accelerator, waited for the light, and my very fast reflexes gave me the jump and my 300 hp gave me the lunge. The sport-ute roared its disapproval as I pulled away and my ultra-high-performance front tires chirped on the 1-2 shift, leaving all of them far in the dust.

Did you see the pics of the struts. Do you mean the sensors in them are likely dummies?

I actually prefer my SLS It suits me well.

I had a ETC and it wasnt as good on gas and although it rode great the ride was stiffer.

Edit. I found this tonight on monroes website. iy states that they apparently function like oem. I took my chances and bought them. I contacted monroe and they said they are 100% gauranteed to function 100% with the factory suspension setup.

I hope so. Cost 800 for both as opposed to 700 for one.

I ordered new springs, mounts, and sway bar links. This car should ride much better now. I will keep in touch and post my results once installed.

Monroe Suspension parts for Monroe.com

Last Updated 02-01-2012

Part Number 40016

Product Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice Body Type Special Mount

Body Length 13.250"

Compressed Length 13.750"

Extended Length 17.000"

Travel Length 3.250"

Dust Shield No

Parts Pack(s) None

Compressed Bumper Stop No

Extended Bumper Stop No

Compressed Hydraulic Lockout No

Extended Hydraulic Lockout No

Lower Mounting Code Special Mount

Upper Mounting Code Special Mount

Feature and Benefit Monroe® Specialty Struts are direct fit replacements for vehicles equipped with factory air or electronic suspension. Available for popular passenger car, light truck and SUV applications.

Direct OE style replacement

100% compatible with the factory air or electronic suspension system

Restores your vehicle factory ride

OE style air/electric connectors

Applications Where Used

Cadillac

Eldorado

1997 - 2002 Front Left

Seville

1997 - 1997 Front Left

GM FAN FOREVER

Jim - You mention above that AC/Delco offered close out pricing on OEM shocks/struts for the ETC. What was that offer, is it still available, and does that mean these AC/Delco units won't be available going forward? Did you replace the shocks/struts on your ETC? I'm still running my originals, and they seem OK, but I'm always thinking about the replacement cost I will need to incur at some point in the future.

The price was $1500 a corner for the fronts, about half that for the rears. I see deep discounts for the fronts on Rock Auto and I felt sure that mine had a year or two left in them at most, so I bought AC/Delco struts and shocks all four corners. Total cost was about $2500. I got all the rubber parts form GMPartsDirect using their VIN check to make sure everything would fit; I don't have a cost for that on-hand. You probably got a much better deal from Monroe, which Rock Auto also sells, and that was my plan until I saw the new pricing on AC/Delco. Watch for a detailed post on my car blog in the Supporters' Cadillacs board.

I have heard for a year or so now that AC/Delco was going to discontinue the first generation of electronic struts, which were used through 2002 for the Eldorado and nearly that long in some STS and DTS models. I take the 50% price cut as close-out pricing. So, got them while the getting was good, even though my car passed the bounce test and drove and handled just fine.

I found on replacing the shocks, struts, and other parts that all this was way overdue. The car drives and handles like new, if not better (with my current ultra-high-perf tires vs. OEM Goodyear RS-A tires). The difference is amazing.

I would love to do the same thing to my Eldorado but just can't right now. Two kids in college, etc, etc...But fortunately, by car does seem to still ride and handle very well. But I know I'll need to step up eventually.

I would recommend the Monroes. They will likely be available for years, although right now the prices are best because Monroe keeps under the AC/Delco price umbrella, which will go away in a few months.

thats why I jumped on them. And my SLS has a blown right front strut. There was no point to doing one side so I didnt even want to consider it. I couldnt even get them at the dealer, theey recmmended bypassing the system which doesnt work for me

GM FAN FOREVER

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Great news.

Car rides unbelievably better. Feels like a new car. Job went well. all parts were AC-Delco except struts themselves.

Just did them myself last night and tonight. The springs are beefy.

Before I did the struts and links the car rode rough over bumps, felt like it was bouncing the wheel, front end was noisy, steering wheel was tighter than normal for a cadillac.

with the new suspension. I feel no bumps, no front end noise, wheel turns easily with 1 finger. Acceleration and braking are drastically changed. Car stops much faster and acceleration is smoother and faster.

Tonight I put a test on the new suspension. got up to pretty high speed. and no light on the dash, ride was perfect around curves and all. I am extremely pleased because I did not want to do away with the passive struts. Thanks Monroe they were affordable.

I wonder what my Seville and Deville are governed at anyway, even at 115 it was still pulling hard. It had a long ways to go. I had to look twice because It didnt even feel like I was ging that fast at all.

Now I will want to drive this car more often with a smooth suspension. also maybe I am crazy but I cant barely even feel the TCC shudder anymore, Why I dont know, maybe it is just me

GM FAN FOREVER

I wonder what my Seville and Deville are governed at anyway, even at 115 it was still pulling hard.

Thank the trial lawyers for that. S-rated tires are rated for 112 MPH so if you got 115, you must have H-rated tires or the car originally came with H-rated tires?

You used Monroe struts - were they electronic or passive? What was the cost of the struts?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I believe they are H-rated. They are pirellis.

The struts I used are the electronic struts. Same as original equipment. they were around 400.00 a peice. Worth every penny

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give an update on the new suspension. 1200 miles with smooth ride, no codes or problems. Glad I went with the monroes

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived