CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad EGR? What are the symptoms?

jndnaps

I have a 97 Seville and I get a code P0404. If I looked it up correctly, it says:

P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance.

Just wondering what kind of symptoms I would get with a bad/dirty EGR?

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Not sure, but I (used to) get that code all the time. It would happen on long trips, after a short stop (like a potty break, or stop for gas). About a mile after getting on the Interstate, P0404 would show up. I'd clear it and all would be well...until the next time we stopped and started again. I say "used to" because it actually hasn't happened lately. I noticed no ill effects because of that. I'd clear the code and keep driving it and see if it comes back. If it's persistent, you may want to have it checked out.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm getting a mild stutter when I'm at like 30 to 40mph. The car idles fine... Kinda sounds like what PAUL T said about his car on the Stutter thread, Page 5, that Ranger posted. But the car only brings up the code P0404.. The car just turned 60K.. I was told by a mechanic that a bad EGR wouldn't effect the way the car runs, Is that true?

Hey guys....I'm havin a similar problem...95 STS, and I get a po36 code, egr pintle out of position. I go to my diagnostics (pd07) and it stays at 40. I'm told if its operating correctly, it should range from 40 to 200 when cruising. is my egr stuck closed? It idles fine, and it pings a bit uncer accel. Is this a correct diagnosis? HELP!

bbobynski, I stopped by this so called Mech. just to ask about it. I thought he was wrong.. Guess I won't be going to him. I was gonna take my EGR off and clean it but it's the one with the fuel line hooked to it. It says the throttle body must be removed to do it. I'm not all that good with these newer cars and I'll probably screw it all up. I've noticed it acts up mostly right at 25mph and it's the worst. It does also act up at faster speeds but not as noticeable. I was almost thinking it may be some kind of shift module thingie for the tranny..

No need to remove the throttle body. Assuming you had the fuel rail recall done, the fuel rail is held down by the same 4 bolts that the beauty cover attaches with. Take those off, then the fuel rail will lift up (the injectors too). Remove, clean, and replace the EGR valve, reseat the injectors and put the bolts back in. I tried cleaning my EGR valve but was unsuccessful, so just put a new one on. Total time involed was about an hour and a half.

Charles

Charles

I bought a brand new EGR valve in the box on eBay for $58.00. My local dealer wanted $225. When you get the fuel rail recall done, have them check the fuel pressure regulator for leaks. At least if it needs top be changed, the labor is covered by the recall.

Charles

They'll honor the recall even though I'm not the original owner?

Absolutely! Get in there and get it done before you have a leak and an engine fire. Pull and clean your EGR before you have it done as it is much easier with the nylon rails (they are flexible enough to move out of the way a bit).

Archived