CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MY Deville broke today

rockfangd

HI all. thought I would share. My Deville broke today and almost caused an accident.

I just went 100 miles sunday with no problems and then I let my boyfriend take the car today because I had to take his car to work (issues)

So anyway I get a call at around 5pm and he is telling me he went to slow down and almost crashed into another vehicle. He said the brake pedal just went straight to the floor. So I am flipping because I dont know what happened. So I told him to move it off the main road and stay. I rushed over from my work and found it. no lights on. nothing out of the ordinary. So I told him to hit the pedal, sure enough right to the floor. So I checked the brake fluid and to my astonishment it was still full. So I gave hime his car and told him to follow me home. I had no brakes. All I can think of is that the master cylinder went out without warning. I thought for sure it had blown a brake line but it didnt. I have had masters fail but never like this one did. My chevy truck went bad and it went almost a year before I had almost no brakes.

So for the first time ever my Deville let me down. Just glad for no accident and everyone is ok.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

It could be the master cylinder but I would check all the brake lines for leaks. Pay close attention to the rubber lines at the front calipers - they take a lot of stress from steering and can crack/rupture.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Its not likely the problem but I had a rusted brake line at the rear in the line that goes across from one side to the other on my 96. I did leak fluid when it blew however.

This is an odd one, I dont ever recall a master cylinder failing spontaineously like this, usually you get the pedal fade routine first. You should take this master apart and look it over, maybe moisture rusted an internal part

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

absolutely. I dont think there is any leak because as many times as I pushed the pedal to the floor all the way home it was still full.

GM FAN FOREVER

!996 Cadillac in Utica, NY ... I am sure the lines if they are original in poor shape if the car is driven in the winter time. The problem is somewhere in front brake system, otherwise the pedal would not go to floor.

It is stange that the level of DOT3 did not change. What if the rubber hoses by the calipers swell when you push the pedal? I would have someone pumping the pedal while you are watching the front brakes.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

absolutely. I dont think there is any leak because as many times as I pushed the pedal to the floor all the way home it was still full.

If the integrity of brake system is compromised the fluid will leak out slowly if you remove master cylinder reservoir cap.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

most of the lines arent original. I actually got this car as cheap as I did because the left front brake hose got cut. I am going to try to fully diagnose it tomorrow pending ourr ever changing weather. I have delt with many many brake situations throughout time and as many times as the pedal was pumped there should have been a drop in fluid. And I listen closely for the hissing noise. I got nothing.

When I replaced all brakes last year I set the master to full line, and that is where it is now.

I do know that the front hoses are known to pull out of the fitting at the inner fender, but that would leak alot. and usually the lines to the rear rot every few years, so I closely monitor them.

GM FAN FOREVER

I definitely had a master cylinder quit suddenly like that. I was only going 30 mph in town and turned the corner. Most times I have noticed the pedal just not holding with the firs pump but that one time, everything is fine, then boom no pedal. I strongly suspect the MC.

Is there any chance that the mechanical linkage between the brake pedal and master cylinder has broken, so that the master cylinder is not moved at all when you push the brake pedal?

I think the pedal would be dropped already if something else failed. the pedal does come back up but has no actual fluid pressure

GM FAN FOREVER

things just getting weirder.

I have to be honest I just couldnt afford a new master cylinder so I decided to reinstall my original (was good when I removed it)

I bench bled it and installed it. Things didnt get better. When I pushed down on the pedal and released I heard the sound of air.

So I had someone push the pedal while I listened and was not too happy to find the source. Down between the body and transmission where the lines run from the master to the ABS on the subframe. one or more lines are bad.(welcome to upstate NY). And the line(s) are sucking air on the release of the pedal.

The weird thing is that there doesnt seem to be fluid pumping from the line but there is still no pedal.

So I gave up for today.

I drove the car tonight up to my work shop and am going to tear out the lines tomorrow and go from there.

I called the dealer and they want $100 for the lines that go from the master to the ABS unit and they are they only ones they sell. I said no thanks and am going to make my own.

I figured that no matter what the lines need to be done before anything else.

I planneed to overhaul the rear brakes and get the parking brake working this year anyway so here is my encouragement.

I will post my progress tomorrow.

I am happy though, this is the first time my Deville has ever let me down, I definately got my moneys worth, and I still love it.

Our conditions here can be extreme and this car takes it all very well. SO I am happy no matter what I have to do to keep my favorite car running till it cannot anymore lol

GM FAN FOREVER

I think the pedal would be dropped already if something else failed. the pedal does come back up but has no actual fluid pressure

I could be wrong...but I think it has a RETURN SPRING that would make it come back up.

The pedal won't stay on the floor unless the spring is broke...

Posted Image

Great news.

I replaced the 2 lines that go from the master to the ABS unit. forgot they were metric so I bought straight lines and formed them myself. I gravity bled everything and then had a helper pump while I bled, flushed the system. The fluid was nasty for being 3 years old.

The overall job went excellent considering what I am used to when doing brake lines and work.

The brakes are better than before and the pedal is perfect. No leaks.

I do have one question. Does anyone know the diagram for the ABS unit for which line goes to which corner. The 2 from the master are the top 2.

I want to hold off till spring and do the rest of the lines but would rather find out which line goes where.

Also note the original lines rotted where the tags were. I believe the tags are there to say not to alter the lines. They were shot.

I couldnt be happier to have my car back up though.

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived