CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Prelininary new-wheels pics

KrisR

Preliminary because:

1) It's dark outside and my camera doesn't like night shots

2) The tires are smaller than will eventually be on the car; It has worn-out 245/45-17s on it for these pics - new tires will be 255/45-17s.

3) I only have 2 on right now, so it 'sits' a little funny and I can only get pics from one side.

That being said, here they are....if they stay on the car, the center caps will be changed...

post-3-1100572694.jpg

droool!

Looks real tough man!

Those 255/45/17s will look real sweet in terms of stance, but maybe a little small in profile. Thats cool if you disagree, cause some like the real low profile look, but I think the tire should fill out the wheel well too. Maybe a 255/50R17? What do you think?

I am suprised at what those Mustang style wheels do for the looks of an STS! Very nicely done!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Thanks Scott.

I will probably get the 255/45s installed tomorrow and install the other 2 wheels as well - all before it gets dark hopefully so I can get pics.

*EDIT*... Forgot to mention - in case anybody was wondering or couldn't figure it out, they are '01 Mustang Cobra wheels, size 17x8, offset 30mm.

I think they look to small in the wheel well. If you are going to run 45s, then you need bigger rims on your caddi. Since you just went -2 on the side wall size, then you need to go +2 on the rim size to keep the look right. My STS came stock with 255/60/R16s so going +1 to a 17" rim means that I should go -1 on the tire, 255/50/R17 and still look correct. Or go +2 on the rim to an 18" and then -2 on the tire.

Or you could drop the car about 1 or 2 inches and keep the 17's

Just my 2 cents.

How do you lower a Caddy an inch or two?

And what are the benefits of putting 17 or 18 inch rims and tires on? Other than looks.

Steve

I was thinking hard about a set of the 2k mustang gt wheels but after hearing the 5x115 verses 5x114.3/.5 story :blink: I decided on a set of MASITALY 18x8 chrome president with Nitto 245x40x18's they fill the wheel well pretty good B) I'll try and get a pic up tonight. Let us know about the ride quality I might still trya set of the 2k. ;)

How do you lower a Caddy an inch or two?

And what are the benefits of putting 17 or 18 inch rims and tires on? Other than looks.

Steve

I dont know how to do a drop on a Caddy, but I have heard others have done it. I think it was on an 93 or 94 STS without the active suspension. I believe there are some notes on the www.caddyinfo.com page.

On a Caddy, the only benefit of larger rims would be the looks. There would be a negligible increase in cornering ability since the sidewall flex would be reduced with a shorter tire, but that would be offset by a rougher ride.

Thanks for the reply - I think I'll leave it alone - it's an awfully nice car just the way it is -

Steve

Sorry guys........no pics, because I traded the car for something to haul my motorcycle around. The Cobra wheels will be going on something a little more appropriate - my wife's Mustang GT.

Thanks for the compliments.

Archived