CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Roadtrip Christmas 2011

Took a roadtrip from Plano, Texas to Georgetown, SC after Christmas map 2,295 miles more or less round trip.

It managed to rain all the way from east Texas to Georgia on the way. The Cadillac STS-V did great all the way. We got 20.x mpg on the way and 21 even back; under the current EPA MPG system the STS-V is rated 19 mpg highway. Trip there was 1,164 miles and took 18.x hours -- 7:19 in the morning central time to around 3:30 the next morning eastern time. We have found over the years that we prefer just driving through to stopping along the way then having another drive the next day.

On the way back we detoured to visit more family in Greenville, SC. That takes 4-5 hours from Georgetown, and also cut our drive coming back to 14.5 hours, which seemed short by comparison. We got off from IHOP at 7 am ET and arrived home around 8:30 CT.

This was our first very long trip in the STS-V. The trunk had plenty of room for 3 adults to bring roller bags and coats, gear, accessories. My son stretched out across the rear seats with pillow and blanket for a lot of the trip. The V fuel economy did cause some fuel stops where we might have kept going otherwise, but it is good to stop and stretch now and then on a long trip. The driver's seat was very comfortable and the long drives were no problem either day. Although the V has the 'sport' suspension I found it very comfortable on the road and of course it tracks very well.

Only one or two stretches to higher speeds, then I reeled the car back in to cruising near the speed limit. I think the 'natural' cruise speed for the STS-V is probably 80-90 mph; of course the mpg falls but it feels very comfortable at those speeds.

As I continue to depend on the navigation system on trips I am liking it more and more. I got advice on routes back across South Carolina from our Host, and after playing with it realized the nav system offered 3 routes and all I had to do was choose the route they recommended. The most useful feature for long trips is the miles to go and predicted time monitor, so you can keep up with progress.

Now the V deserves a nice scrub to get the bugs off and finally have clean wheels for a bit!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce,

Nice to hear that y'all had a good trip.

We go to Charleston SC every once in a while... Darling Wife has a brother there.

I would imagine that your "V" would have a cruising speed around 90...that "IT" would prefer to run at... :D :D

I love traveling in my Cadillac...

Posted Image

Archived