CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

transmission problems

jkypes

guys- i just bought a used tranny from a junkyard and had it put in about a month ago. my old tranny wouldnt shift through gears very well. ( bad clutches). anyway, the new (used) tranny wont shift out of first!! so the junkyard had a shop look at it and they replaced the solenoids, and it still didnt shift. then they did a ton of diagnostic work on it and fixed a wire that apparently had been stretched when the old tranny was removed. they drove it and it shifted fine, so they put it in park, then put it in drive again and it wouldnt shift out of first. the tranny guy said there were no metal shavings in the pan, and that they had narrowed it down to the valve bodies. so now im looking and i cant find valve bodies for a 93 sts ANYWHERE. my car has now been in the shop for two months. :( , and i need help! anyone got any ideas? i live in michigan.

sorry its so long, but i just really could use some help. thanks guys

jason

guys- i just bought a used tranny from a junkyard and had it put in about a month ago. my old tranny wouldnt shift through gears very well. ( bad clutches). anyway, the new (used) tranny wont shift out of first!! so the junkyard had a shop look at it and they replaced the solenoids, and it still didnt shift. then they did a ton of diagnostic work on it and fixed a wire that apparently had been stretched when the old tranny was removed. they drove it and it shifted fine, so they put it in park, then put it in drive again and it wouldnt shift out of first. the tranny guy said there were no metal shavings in the pan, and that they had narrowed it down to the valve bodies. so now im looking and i cant find valve bodies for a 93 sts ANYWHERE. my car has now been in the shop for two months. :( , and i need help! anyone got any ideas? i live in michigan.

sorry its so long, but i just really could use some help. thanks guys

jason

if the valve body is gunked up, I would just take it out and clean it, watch for the check balls

Hi Jason,

From my experience the incorrect installation of solinoid valve will leave that car on second gear, once I had similar problem, I replaced the solinoid valves and the car was still not shifting. Another experienced mechanic managed to diagnose the problem and the reason was the ball valve and spring in the valve body was not installed correctlyand actually they were lost in the first installation, which caused the problem. He managed to get second hand ball valve, installed it in the car and the car was fine after that.

Archived