CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HELP! 90 Sedan DeVille with extreme surging

Maimas

I have a 90 Sedan Deville with a 4.5 FWD and 145,000 miles. I am not sure if I have one problem, or two. The first thing it does is surging. It does this just about all the time now, and it is so severe that when sitting at a red light, I have to hold the brake hard to keep it from jumping into traffic when it's surging. Sometimes it is so bad that it will kill the engine. When it is surging it is also running very rich. Lots of thick, black smoke when engine is revved. I had an intermitted map sensor code set and changed the map sensor. It almost wouldn't run for the first 3 minutes, and then ran great for about a day and a 1/2. Then started all over again. No map sensor code at all, now.

Second problem: Car will be going along down hwy and will lose all power and die. Can feather gas pedal and keep running, but sounds like timing is way, way off. When this happens, "Service Vehicle Soon" light comes on, then car will come back to life and light will go of. After checking codes, BCM will show code F32. The other day, I got it to do this in the driveway and checked the codes and it would not even acknowledge that there was an ECM connected to the car. Then when the problem ceased, it showed the ECM was there and the car would run again. Have checked conections to ECM and everything looks ok.

Had severe ground problem last year. Car was spitting, sputtering, and backfiring so bad, that muffler blew out. Parked car and took 3 months to figure out that the alternator was not grounded well. Then my Dad, (also Caddy owner turned me to this site 1month AFTER I had fixed it, and when I checked, there was a posting about the same problem. So, this is the 1st place I came.

Help me save her, she is definitly in trouble.

THANKS for ANY input

Desperately seeking advice,

Maimas

I red the post several times and do not know where to start :huh: Easy things to check out are fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator (FPR). You'll find all the necessary information in new and old ( http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchives/) archives.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The surging may be the result of a bad idle speed control motor. Do a search in the archives on Idle Speed Control or ISC.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I sympathize, empathize and feel generally hurt by your post.

I have had some similar issues of late with my old girl.

Last fall the MAP sensor went and your description is as my experience was. The fact that you replaced yours and there are still issues is a shame.

I have done the whole ISCM route as well and actually believe now that my true issue was the throttle body. It seems that with our 4.5 motors, the TB is the heart.

Get some DUNK, some pipe cleaners and a couple of tooth brushes. Dip the pipe cleaners in the dunk and clean out the EGR tubes. To do this, wire the throttle assembly open full and the two tubes you see down the throat are the ones of which I speak. Use the tooth brushes and DUNK to clean ALL the black that you can see... I mean every trace. Use rags to blot up the DUNK when you can, be careful not to have shavings from the sides of the brush go down the TB as well (it is really sharp down there and it shaves the brushes like a razor). Stuff rags down the TB to pick up more DUNK. Then spray the whole inside liberally with Throttle body cleaner. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Get out the DUNK and do it all again.

With all the black smoke (unburned fuel) and all the chugging and surging, there is no doubt in my mind that your TB is stuffed and needs to be really cleaned out prior to diagnosing any further issues.

The folks on this forum are AWESOME and there is a LOT of good knowledge here... my specialty of late is simple: BUFF THE TB SO IT'S FLAWLESS... then give her a try.

Once you are finished cleaning, you can grab a shop vac and sit it near the TB opening for a half hour or so (to speed up evaporation of the DUNK) and if you have a small head for it, stuff it down the TB to grab any foreign stuff in there... Make sure the DUNK has evaporated prior to starting the car as it may have silicone in it and SILICONE IS DEATH TO O2 sensors...

ALSO... DO NOT forget to take the wire off the throttle assembly prior to starting the car... I actually made a sign and stuck it to the ignition of mine so I would not forget... lol.

I will watch this post and add any weird stuff that I experienced with mine... if it fits...

Good luck

MP

Just re-read your post... I had a Buick 3.8 V6 that did similar... my fuel pump was history.

When it dies, push the release valve on the fuel rail... looks like an air valve on a tire... no fuel?... Pump might be gone... mine did this for 3 weeks before I figured it out... I replaced a 1 year old pump and was back in biz...

Clean the TB first though... hehehe...

MP

Archived