CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Something else I was wondering.. When I was looking for a Caddy I was looking for a DTS because I thought it was the best model. The only real difference I can see in the specs is the HP. 275hp for the DHS vs 300hp for the DTS.

How do they get he extra 25hp on the DTS? Is there some easy way to upgrade a DHS for a little more HP?

And, what are the other major differences between a DHS and DTS.

BTW, I ended up with an 2002 DHS because I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on this 30k mile beauty. I love this car, unfortunately, my wife loves it more than me so I hardly get to drive it. LOL.

The extra 25 HP comes from different intake cams that put more fuel into the mix along with a different final drive ratio.

There is no easy way to upgrade the 275 HP engine to 300HP. The Transmission would need to be changed along with the intake cams and the PCM. A LOT of work and expense just for 25 HP...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ok, I was mostly curious of how they got the 25 extra hp. No way would it be worth the trouble. When I went to look at this car I was REALLY hoping it was a DTS. But for the deal I got I'm completely happy with it. At least its not the base model.

I have the 300 HP engine in one of my cars and the 275 HP engine in another. The 300 HP will wind up higher and has more power at the top end but that's about it. The 275 HP engine gets 3-4 MPG better than the 300 HP engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

And, what are the other major differences between a DHS and DTS.

Aside from the HP, final drive ratio and fuel mileage mentioned, the DTS is more performance oriented while the DHS is more luxury oriented. The DTS has active (expensive) struts while the DHS has softer, cushier passive (cheaper) struts. The DTS has a floor shift while the DHS has a column shift (mine has been converted). The DHS has a power rear window shade. I don't think the DTS does. Seats are a little different (I think the DHS seats are a bit cushier). Probably a few more appearance differences.

DTS has fog lamps and body color panels along the bottom where all other devilles it is black. Also the rear license plate trim is body color and its chrome on all other devilles. Door panels have different styles of leather on them. DTS didnt come with window shades. Both had options of navigation, night vision heads up display and backup sensors. DTS has 17" stock wheels all others have 16". Thats a few more differences.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

The more I learn about the DTS I think I might be better off with the DHS. The fuel mileage is big issue for me right now. A couple extra mpg's always welcome. I was looking in the manual today and noticed the DHS had a little more torque at a lower rpm. I like that too. Thanks for the information.

from what Ive heard on here the 275 horse motor takes off the line better, probably due to gearing. But the DTS pulls hard. DTS was supposed to get 17mpg city and 28 hwy, I always got 15 city and 25 hwy no matter what gas I used. Also the suspension in my DTS was slightly too rigid for me. I drove a DHS once and I liked the suspension more. I moved to a big body fleetwood to get that marshmellow ride but for ride quality I would go to a DHS if I ever got one of those again.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Archived