CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The other day I took my 2005 sts in for an oil change, later that day my car begins to lose power and make a loud engine noise similiar to taking the muffler off.The car feels like it is struggling to maintain..similiar to driving up a very steep hill.My husband says he thinks it is not running on all 8 cylinders.he feels that it might be driving in some sort of safety mode.I don't have any indicator lights coming on.My husband felt I may have had a bad oil change so he drained the oil and replaced oil and filter.This did not help.Does anyone have any idea as to what could be going on?My husband feels that it is a clogged cataltic converter.

Yeah, that could be, I've heard that the 05's did have an issue with converters. The next step to take is to retrieve any stored codes from within.

look1-1-1.jpg

No SES light = no DTC's. That said, a clogged CAT will not set any DTC's. Your symptoms COULD be that of a clogged CAT. It would be worth ruling it out before going on a wild goose chase.

The only way a "bad" oil change could cause anything like this is if they neglected to put oil back in after they drained it. That would certainly qualify as a bad oil change.

Unless they knocked a wire loose/off while changing the oil filter it just sounds as a huge coincidence; randomly thinking it might be the catalytic converters is a long shot. Check for a codes; a pending code might be lurking that hadn't hard set yet.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Archived