CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 Deville TPMS

rockfangd

does anyone know if the TPMS sensors on a 2001 deville can be programmed without a scantool? the LF was bad and replaced but not programmed, Anyone have any info on this. Thanks

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yes - I use a powerful horseshoe magnet to set mine when I rotate my tires. I believe you hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob and the horn will chirp. Hold the magnet next to the valve stem on the LF tire, the horn will chirp. Move to the RF tire, then the RR tire and end with the LR tire.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Use a large magnet. If this procedure fails, try a magnet with greater flux density.

1) Ignition ON.

2) Press LOCK + UN-LOCK key fob buttons simultaneously until the horn chirps.

3) Starting with LF wheel, hold the magnet in contact with the valve stem

until the horn chirps. Then RF, then RR, then LR. After LR, the horn

will chirp twice to indicate the relearn was successful.

There is a timer running that allows 1 minute between wheels and

5 minutes total elapsed time.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

thank you very much. nice to know it is a common GM procedure. the newer GMsprogram through the IPC but has the same steps

GM FAN FOREVER

Dumb question coming....

How do you know if you need to reprogram the TPMS? Will there be an error message on the DIC? I just had new tires installed and assume all is well.

Dumb question coming....

How do you know if you need to reprogram the TPMS? Will there be an error message on the DIC?

I just had new tires installed and assume all is well.

All is well..."IF" they put the same wheels back in the same spot or "IF" they reset the TPMS when they were done putting the wheels back on the car.

Posted Image

It must have been optional equipment in 2001. Not all will have TPMS. My 2001 does not.

TPMS was a Federal Mandate for all new vehicles in 2008...after the Ford Explorer/ Firestone tire fiasco.

Dumb question coming....

How do you know if you need to reprogram the TPMS? Will there be an error message on the DIC?

I just had new tires installed and assume all is well.

All is well..."IF" they put the same wheels back in the same spot or "IF" they reset the TPMS when they were done putting the wheels back on the car.

I don't know about either. I'm not getting any errors and I can check the pressures on the DIC just fine. I do know they installed some sort of " TPMS replacement/repair kit" because I discussed it with them prior to tire replacement. It looks easy enough to reprogram so maybe I will do that just to be sure.

programmed them today and it worked like a charm. all is fine wth no messages.

Now for those questioning removing tires and reinstalling them.

Rach sensor is programmed to the corner of the car it is on. therefore if you rotate the tires front to rear your rear tires would now be reading as fronts and vice versa.

Example switch the left and right fronts. now the left reads as right and the right reads as left. Soo if your dash says you have a low leftt front tire it is actually the right front.

Hope that made sense. That is why even rotating the tires or dismounting all 4 without marking them it should be reprogrammed. honestly it was a piece of cake. took me 2 minutes with a strong magnet (it may not ned a strong magnet to work but thats what I had)

So thanks again

GM FAN FOREVER

My 2001 DTS has TPMS. I think it was standard on the DTS in 2001. Think All the sending units were replaced over the years. The biggest problem with the older units is the sensativity in cold weather. Have to raise PSI up to about 35 to prevent Low message.

We do not have that problem with our 2008 STS.

Also if memory serves me correctly I think the 2001 DTS had a TSB that required some type or reprograming of the computer.

Archived