CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Towing with your Caddy?

KrisR

I will be going on a road trip after Thanksgiving. I will be driving my '96 STS from where I live in MN to central FL to visit a friend. I am toying with the idea of bringing along a motorcycle on a trailer. Total trailer/bike weight would around 1000 pounds. I see that hitches are available for my car at a reasonable price.

Does anybody tow anything with their Northstar-powered cars? How much weight, and how far have you gone? Any side effects?

Thanks for any info...

Kris

I have never towed anything with my Cadillac; but the Owner's Manual on my 2000 STS says the max is 1,000 lbs. You could probably exceed that a little w/o any damage.

I will be going on a road trip after Thanksgiving. I will be driving my '96 STS from where I live in MN to central FL to visit a friend. I am toying with the idea of bringing along a motorcycle on a trailer. Total trailer/bike weight would around 1000 pounds. I see that hitches are available for my car at a reasonable price.

Does anybody tow anything with their Northstar-powered cars? How much weight, and how far have you gone? Any side effects?

Thanks for any info...

Kris

The resident 'guru' here ,'bbobynski' has towed various snowmobile rigs in all sorts of conditions with various models of Cadillcas, N*'s included. There has been nothing but very positive reports. For more info, look up 'towing' in the archives here.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

A Northstar Cadillac will easily tow a two-place covered snowmobile trailer loaded with two machines without any damage. That trailer weighs about 1500 lbs.

Tow the trailer in Drive rather than overdrive to keep the RPMs up, providing additional trans. fluid circulation/cooling and you won't have any trouble.

I tow my covered snowmobile trailer with two snowmobiles with my '86 Park Avenue with the 3.8 V6 engine without any problems other than not having any power to pass on a two lane road. I do have an auxilary transmission fluid cooler though. You won't have that problem with a Northstar! My owners manual also said 1000 lbs max.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Good point on the use of the heavy duty flasher. Usually, if a heavy duty flasher isn't used, the turn signals flash rapidly as the extra load of the trailer lights causes the flasher to heat up and kick out much faster.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A Northstar Cadillac will easily tow a two-place covered snowmobile trailer loaded with two machines without any damage. That trailer weighs about 1500 lbs.

The resident 'guru' here ,'bbobynski' has towed various snowmobile rigs in all sorts of conditions with various models of Cadillcas, N*'s included. There has been nothing but very positive reports.

KrisR,

As you can see the posts are very encouraging, but just to be on the safe side I would wait for someone posting about towing snowmobiles to Florida where you are going to. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Use an electronic flasher. Not just heavy duty, that will work, but an electronic will never stop working. I also sugest using the two prong one instead of the three. (the THird prong is just an indiicator prong that you don't need and may also cause false problems when using trailers. The thing is Burried under the dash! Turn Flashers on and listen and feel until you get on it. There are a few things under there that LOOKS like it but is something else. If it is easy to get to it's not it. Murphy's law?

On the flat you can use OD but any other time kick it down one gear and drive like that, the RPM will go up but it keeps the trans fluid flowing through the cooler. If I was going to tow alot I'd get an extra cooler. But this time of year and that load no prob. If you are in OD and ya need to kick it down a bit, keep the foot on the gas and touch the brake, RPM will go up, then mash the motor. It's a way to be easier on the trans.

The hitch you want is real easy to put on. (Drawtite) Takes only 30 min or so. Littlle tools required. I'd buy their wire harness and the actual HITCH for that car as it is a special reach round the bumper. Yes Wal Marts will work, but it gets you s close to the paint that it will make you nervous! (Might even hit on a turn or during hookup.)

You hit 3 light wires at the trunk left side, the R turn on the right side.

I towed a 2000 lb boat to Canada and back with my 96 no prob.

Mike

also, you might want to invest 50 bucks (got mine at Murffys Discount Auto) and 45 minites of your time to put a trans cooler in. i have a link in my signature. yours already gets cooled with the radiator line, just hose it in series. plus your trans will take about a quart or so extra fluid. suposedly drops trans temp by 15-20 degress. i did mine about a month after the rebuild. just to play it safe.

Archived