CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

02 DHS Seat Motor and other

I just picked up a 2002 Deville DHS with only 30k miles. The rear motor on the driver seat does not work. I don't think its a fuse as all the other stuff works. Could be the switch or the motor. What is the easiest way get to those components?

Also, since I just got this car, is there any maintenance items I should do right off the bat? OR things to check for? I have always heard these are bad about leaking head gaskets. What can I do to prevent that?

I think I'd like to have a service manual so where is the best place to get one. Ebay obviously is a place to look. I see the manuals on DVD which I think would be great, but are they crap? Some good some bad? Anyone actually recommend one?

Thanks for reading my first post!

The car is 10 years old...

If you don't know the service history of the car, the first thing I would do is change the coolant, change the oil and filter and check all belts and hoses.

If I was buying a service manual, I would buy the Helm Service manual in BOOK form.

I bought one of the manuals on DVD... It was a piece of JUNK...

Posted Image

If you are OK with a FSM on your computer then a subscription to alldatadiy might be right up your alley. I prefer a hard copy, but I searched Ebay for a year before I got mine.

My list for the tomorrow:

1. I got two gallons of Prestone Dex-cool today. Will try to drain coolant tomorrow and add new coolant.
  2. Look at accessing seat motor to see whats wrong.
  3. I found this service manual program on ebay. Looks interesting. Cheap, but could be a waste of $20.
    ebay manual

1. I lucked out on the seat motor. It was merely a bad connection at the motor, pulled the connector and re-inserted and it worked. The seat bottom was very easily removed with two nuts on the front underside allowing complete access to all seat motors.
  2. I drained the radiator and replace old coolant with dexcool.
  3. Also replaced the original tires with some Goodyear Eagle LS's from Walmart black friday sale. $420 for the set with road hazard.

That was my weekend work. I hope to be free of maintenance issues for a while.

Archived