CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny shop DAMAGED CRANKSHAFT!!!!

acklac7

Im having some bad luck....like some really bad luck. Here is just a portion of what has transpired over the past few days...The full story can be found here:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3948

I took my car into get some work on the tranny done. I went to pick it up and on the way home I lost all power, the engine would just rev. But I wouldn't go anywhere...this happend while going 70mph on the highway. I called the shop and agreed to have it towed in and for them to see what happend. I received a call the next day (at 3:30) that the crankshaft had cracked and that they had bought a new one and had already installed it....without my approval or permission. I need some help...Do I have grounds for a lawsuit? Can they work on my engine without prior approval? These guys obviously don't know what there doing..what other damage could result from someone trying to replace the crankshaft without ANY knowledge of the northstar power train? I want to have them send it to a local cadillac dealership and have them re-install the crankshaft..at their expense. I dunno what else to do...also how many hours does it take to re-install the crankshaft?...PLEASE HELP!!!!

A.J.

If you live in New Jersey you have grounds to refuse to pay the mechanic. NJ, like NY, and probably most other states have consumer protection laws prohibiting auto mechanics from making any repairs without the expressed written consent of the owner. I posted on this topic some time ago quoting NY law.

I feel like a dumbass...it wasn't the crankshaft that was damaged it was the flywheel....I tend to get angry when people fix my car and then something else breaks...Its happened a number of times...that is why I choose to work on the car myself. Sorry for the confusion....thank you MAC...I figured most states had laws pertaining to that sort of thing.

A.J.

They must have forgotten to tighten the bolts that connects the torque converter to the flywheel. If this is all that's wrong, it's nothing major. But I probably would refuse to pay for the flywheel since it looks like it was their fault.

IPB Image

They must have forgotten to tighten the bolts that connects the torque converter to the flywheel.  If this is all that's wrong, it's nothing major.  But I probably would refuse to pay for the flywheel since it looks like it was their fault.

Thats what it sounds like to me also. They probably left them finger tight, and after a while the vibration allowed them to back off and be thrown out. The bolts are supposed to have a medium strength Loctite (thread locker) on them.

As the bolts were thrown off under load, they would likely damage the bolt holes, making the flexplate replacement a sensible repair.

If this is the case the bolts would have been trapped by the inspection plate. The mistake would have been obvious to any real mechanic. A good shop would admit the mistake (it happens) and make the additional repairs at no charge.

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Just wondering, did you see the old flexplate (flywheel) after the repair? They should give it to you if you ask for it. Leaving the bolts loose between the torque and the flexplate can damage both. I have seen cases where a torqueconverter bolt came out and jammed between the case & the torque convertor, and cracked the housing.

I would get a letter from them explaning the oversite on their part. Just in case something happens in the next 100000 miles or so. They should cover any and all expences incurred in towing, removal, replacement and reinstallation. Since you didn't even get home, I don't think they could claim it wasn't their fault. If you didn't ask for the old parts, they will surely claim to have thrown it out by now. The reason that I would ask is when the blts are left loose, they usually damage the flexplate holes before they come completely out. If you want to check, I think that there is a small plate on the forward side of the bellhousing that can be removed to check. It is located just behind (to the left of) the engine oil pan. I think that you can remove one bolt and then pry it out enough to look at the flex plate. If it is rusty, then they most likely just replaced the bolts with out replacing the flex plate. To do it properly, they would have had to remove the transmission again. If you really want to check if they know their stuff, ask to talk to the "tech" that reeplaced the flex plate. Ask him what the torque is for the bolts that hold the flywheel (flexplate) to the crankshaft is. (11 pb.ft. or 15 N/M PLUS 50 degrees turn. (Called the torque turn method). If he just gives you a blank look, :huh: , you can assume that he either didn't change it, or if he did, he "winged" :angry: the torque.

Hopefully, they can anwser all the questions correctly.

I am with you on having ANYBODY work on my vehicles. I even changed the engine in my 94 SLS (from the top :P ) because I didn't want some jackleg touching my car! (What an experience :blink: ) & I saved a ton of money! :D

I know that ALL of the shields, braces, wiring standoffs, etc. are in the proper places. It is not a job for the faint of heart! :)

Good luck,

Britt

Britt

Unfourtianitley I didnt get to read this post untill after I picked up the car, and I left the flywheel with them. But I feel that if something goes wrong the shop will take responsibility...I just didnt get the impression that they were crooks...I got more of an "honest mechanic" impression. The center had broken cleanly out of the flywheel. The entire bolt pattern had basically seperated from the flywheel in a perfect circle...It also had a blue colour around the circle...Im guessing it got real hot right? Anyway she is running ok..but still has some issues...check the other post..for more detail...Also they coverd all expenses associated with the flywheel falure....And another thing...there claim was that it was cracked to begin with..and a tech missed the crack when re-installing it...Does this sound right? I agree I should get a letter...but thinking back I belive they are trying to say it wasn't there fault...does it sound like a crack to you all?

A.J.

Archived