CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help with codes please

Bronson

My 96 STS has just turned over 50K now and on the way home from work I noticed that the idle seem just a little rough and the service engine soon light was on. I checked for codes and PC1406 came up as a current and RF2560 was in history. I'm going to check the archives to see if I can find a listing of the codes, can someone please advise as to what I'm looking for?

sebring06RTP.jpg

PC1406 is the EGR pintle position code. You need to remove the EGR valve and clean the area where the plunger seats in the cast base. Don't let carb. cleaner run into the guts of the EGR valve or it will be ruined. Clean the valve until the plunger no longer sticks and you should be all set.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It's been several days now and have yet been able to find time to clean the EGR valve, the "Service Engine Soon" light has gone off and PC1406 is now in history. Last week I changed my route to work, the new route includes a few miles on the turnpike with the BMWs and Mercedes at speeds sometimes in triple digits. I like the opportunity of some WOT; I'm hoping it's freed the EGR up a little, who knows

sebring06RTP.jpg

Had a longer drive on the interstate todaywith prolonged speeds of 90 to 100 mph, SES light is back on again. I have a service contract on this car, I wondering if the EGR just needs cleaning or if it should be replaced. Don't have the time to fool with it now, thinking I may take it to the steelership.

sebring06RTP.jpg

Had a longer drive on the interstate todaywith prolonged speeds of 90 to 100 mph, SES light is back on again. I have a service contract on this car, I wondering if the EGR just needs cleaning or if it should be replaced. Don't have the time to fool with it now, thinking I may take it to the steelership.

Bronson,

I would first make something easy - clean up the throttle body ( pay attention to the BACK side of the blades) as well as EGR TUBES. Chances are after clean up you will not see 048 code for a long time. (just like me). :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Since you have a service contract, let them replace the EGR valve. I took mine off and tried cleaning it when I had the 1406 code, but it was still sticking at the top of the pintle's travel. I put a new valve on in 30 minutes and no more 1406.

Charles

Charles

This morning after starting the car three or four times the SES light is now off again and 1406 is in history. It seems to stick after periods of high speed driving, obviously it’s not sticking too bad, it's freeing itself.

Adallak when you say clean up the throttle body, are you talking about spraying carb cleaner of some type into the throttle body through the MAF? If so what type of cleaner do you recommend? This won't affect the MAF?

sebring06RTP.jpg

Remove the MAF (3 screws). Then use an old toothbrush, rag and Gumout or equivelent and clean the TB bore, especially the perimiter where the throttle plate meets the bore. Also the back side and perimiter of the throttle plate.

Archived