CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Deville oil leak

rockfangd

Dont know what much to say about it but my 96 Deville is leaking oil. It has been lightly seeping for awhile now but has now started to leave small puddles on my driveway. I do not overfill the crankcase and usually dont really have to add any oil.

The oil leak is coming from the front between the radiator and engine. Looks like crankcase or pan. The oil level sender went a couple months ago and noted the seepage. It is in a spot that could be a number of things. Oil filter housing, sendng unit, oil pan, or crankcase.

My worries are that the oil is seeping onto the exhaust crossover below the oil pan so I worry of a fire hazard. It smells kind of like burnt popcorn when I drive it once it is hot.

I dont really want to go crazy being winter is nearly here and considering how many miles I have I dont feel like pulling the engine.

Anyone with any tips or suggestions. I am not one to use miracles in bottles so I would like to solve the problem correctly.

Thank you. I can get a pic of the area if necessary

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

A picture would be helpful. From your description, it could be the oil manifold plate leaking or it could b an oil cooler line o-ring.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would not worry about a fire. A few drips of oil on the pipe would not supply enough "fuel" to start or sustain a fire.

A quick look at the oil filter adapter, oil pressure switch and oil cooler line fittings should tell if the leak is coming from there.

Clear any oil off the surfaces, wrap up the oil cooler line connection with the radiator with a piece of paper towel. If the o-ring does leak, you'll see it. Those o-rings usually fail when you disturb the connection. A five minute fix.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I assume that you are talking about the quick connect E-clp fittings, that would be good. What is the easy fix? also nothing has been disturbed

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived