CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

70 mpg

adallak

This is my understanding

1. The max range for fuel economy is 70 mpg. You may be getting more, the but the range is maxed out.

2. Some of the fuel injectors are turned off for two reasons:

a. Decrease the amount of pollution out of the exhaust

b. Increase mpg

Love watching the read out with 70 mpg on it.

Vince P

1994 SLS

but the bad side is wot goes to like 4mpg if I remember   

But you only WOT for a few seconds at a time. The important number is average fuel consumption, which for mine is about 19.9 MPG even with the WOTs.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Did any of you happen to notice that the "mileage" goes up when cruising steady above 85-90 or well into triple digits?

Apparently, the range of the injector pulse bandwidth is somewhat limited when coupled with speed and distance traveled sensors etc used to produce the data.

Don't try this in the city... :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Actually it is the average fuel economy what counts. I do not think the computer gets the average based on instant economy integrated over the period of time since instant data is not always correct (say, it shows 70 mpg despite it is more).

I noticed it decreases when I drive over 75 mph.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Mine says 70 mpg while going downhill but if I'm my speed is above 70 mph and I let off the throttle, it will say 70 then after a few seconds, go to 0. Does this mean it's getting 100 mpg? Anyone else noticed this on theirs?

IPB Image

I find that the shift of into the next gear will give better MPG.. less RPM to MPH ratio then better.

Try it!

30 MPH = approx 25 - 30 MPG

50 MPH = approx 20 - 25 MPG

80 MPH = approx 28 - 32 MPG

These are only when coasting though, not accelerating through. Also rough estimates, I forget what the exacts were.

Try this. when coasting to achieve the 70 mpg on the instant. Swap over the the AVG mpg and hit reset a few times. This has shown me the same results as instant. Havent tried the cruise at 80-90 yet but i have always got 30 at 75 on I-20 between dallas and shreveport.

Try this. when coasting to achieve the 70 mpg on the instant. Swap over the the AVG mpg and hit reset a few times. This has shown me the same results as instant.

well it means the computer calculates the average fuel economy based on the instant which in my opinion cannot be correct SINCE INSTANT FUEL ECONOMY CANNOT BE JUST THE SAME 70MPG at say, at 75MPH and then at 60MPH. Despit it is caled instant it is measured over a limitidep short period of time. I still do not know whether all injectors are actually shut down completely when instant is 70 mpg. Dark story, perhaps Guru could shed some light.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Going fast and letting go automatically gives 70MPG......

Im averaging 17.6 mpg as of now....and it rises .1 every week or so, I do alot of city driving.

BUT......i get around 27-34mpg at 45-50mph....ive determined this to be the most "efficiant" speed in these cars......this is the speed that steedily brings my average up.

On the highway I usually go around 75-85 and this yields around 19-23mpg at most.......yet this happens to bring the average up quicker because of the greater distance traveled.....heck...all highway driving at 22mpg gets me around 300 miles on a tank.....combo city and highways only gives me around 200-250.

Try this. when coasting to achieve the 70 mpg on the instant. Swap over the the AVG mpg and hit reset a few times. This has shown me the same results as instant.

There's a LONG mountain on an interstate that I periodically drive, and I reset the AVG ECON at the top of the mountain, and pretty much coasted down. It displayed my average economy in the triple digits. Even though INST ECON will only display up to 70 mpg, the computer is still calculating the AVG ECON as fuel used/distance, no matter how little the fuel or how great the distance.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived