CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 CTS Knocking and Jumping

I have a 2005 CTS 3.6L V6 with ~109k miles which hasn't had any major problems...until now!

Last week I noticed while accelerating at lower speeds (<20 MPH), the car makes a sound like a metal hitting metal (similar to a motorcycle) (sounds like it's coming from the front of the car at times but at other times it sounds like it could be coming from the middle of the car); however, if I let off the gas it stops. It also jumps when accelerating and has a vibration that is non-tire related.

This ended up triggering my check engine light to come on. Right when the check engine light came on, I went to Auto Zone and they hooked the car up to the computer and it came back with 7 misfires (1 for each cylinder and another random one which I forget what it was).

A few months ago, I had the rubber piece in the rear, connecting drive train / shaft as it was worn (I believe it was called the rear differential bushing?) - could this be damaged / worn again and be causing the noise/jumping?

Today I brought the car to my mechanic who changed all of the spark plugs and coils. When I picked up the car, the check engine light was off, but the car still jumped and made the loud noise at lower speeds, just not as loud as before. About an hour later, the check engine light came back on.

Does anyone have an idea as to what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

You must continue pulling codes to see what shows up

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yep, get the new codes read (they may be the same old codes coming back); ignition may still be the culprit.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Well, as of right now, the check engine light is off. My dad replaced all 6 spark plugs and coils, he also replaced one of the cam sensors. The light went off when he replaced the cam sensor, but the car still makes noise when accelerating. It no longer surges when I accelerate though, which seems like the cam sensor fixed that.

The best way I can describe the noise that the car makes is it's a similar sound to if a nut was in a coffee can and you shake the can and hear that rattling sound.

Any ideas what that could be?

OK, so I finally found out what the problem was! A guy that I work with has the same car and told me that they have been known to burn through oil, so I checked my oil and the dipstick was bone dry! I'm so lucky I didn't kill my engine!! So, I filled up my car with oil and watched it closely after that and let it run for about an hour and noticed that it's leaking.

It was leaking under the engine and not the oil pan, so I don't think it's coming from the oil pan. Anyone's CTS leak oil? If so, where does yours leak?

Archived