CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

starting problem

ayejay

Greetings! I have a 90 Eldorado. When trying to start the car it cranks over (with full force, not like it is dying) but will not start. The battery is fully charged and the alternator is rather new. Does this sound like a starter problem? The shop manual shows that I must remove the exhaust pipe in order to get to the starter and I don't want to do that until I get some more input. Thanks.

ayejay,

If the engine is being turned over, spun, at a rapid rate as you describe, it would not be the starter.

Engine needs spark, air, and gas to run.

Check for air, gas, and spark. Intake clogged with mouse nest?? Gas tank empty??

Psot back your results...

It sounds rather like fuel supply problem. Do you hear fuel pump activating when you turn the ignition on without starting the motor up? The pump is in the tank just FYI. You also might want to check the fuel pressure.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

It does not sound like a starter problem if it is cranking. Have you checked for spark or the presence of fuel? Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel, write down any codes that appear and post back.

You can also visually check to see if the TBI injectors are spraying fuel while a helper cranks the engine. If you do not see a spray pattern, start checking the fuel system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Try to spray some ether in the throttle body and start the engine. If it helps - the ignition system is fine and the problem is the fuel. Another tip is flooring the pedal and starting the car. It will clear flood if you have rich condition (leaky injectors). Check out also the FPR -fuel pressure regulator. Search the archives for FPR.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 1 month later...

My car was hard to start so I changed the plugs and wires now it rolls over great good luck!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Oh ya I forgot to tell you the plugs that I would recomend to you are boshe platinum series they are really good and aren't alot of money! :D

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived