CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Window Problem

Rusty

A sharp cracking sound occurred when the rear window was being raised. At first I thought something had hit the door, like a rock or bottle.

Can hear the motor run- but not sure it will lower it - and now I'm reluctant to try for fear it might drop the glass inside the door.

If it's the regulator is that going to be a PIA and big $ to fix ? I was planning on taking the door apart this weekend . Anyone encounter this situation ?

A sharp cracking sound occurred when the rear window was being raised. At first I thought something had hit the door, like a rock or bottle.

Can hear the motor run- but not sure it will lower it - and now I'm reluctant to try for fear it might drop the glass inside the door.

If it's the regulator is that going to be a PIA and big $ to fix ? I was planning on taking the door apart this weekend . Anyone encounter this situation ?

Sounds like the classic 'pop-n-drop' window regulator issue. Bet you find a broken plastic nugget on the regulator cable.

Here's the blow-by-blow instructions for you . . .

Regards,

Warren

2001 Rear Window Regulator Replacement.doc

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

unfortunately, if this is your first it wont be the last. Also check the tracks and make sure they arent rotted

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks for your help guys. Guess there's no chance of repairing the part. Looks like a replacement / aftermarket regulator. I was told the cheaper ones on eBay are probably Chinese and might last 10 months(?)

Or maybe I'll opt to buy the "better" higher priced ones from Mexico ...

Thanks for your help guys. Guess there's no chance of repairing the part. Looks like a replacement / aftermarket regulator. I was told the cheaper ones on eBay are probably Chinese and might last 10 months(?)

If you are creative...it can be repaired. All 4 of mine have been repaired at some point.

I did get 1 new one from RockAuto. Turned out to be a China-made unit. I think all the eBay ones are 'repaired' units. The China unit I have (and using) is identical to the original. Right down to the plastic nugget.

I wouldnt splurge on an expensive one because they look identical to the cheap ones. All the ones I have done look identical. I have repaired a few also. It seems to make them last a bit longeer but eventually fail again

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

If you are creative...it can be repaired. All 4 of mine have been repaired at some point.

I did get 1 new one from RockAuto. Turned out to be a China-made unit. I think all the eBay ones are 'repaired' units. The China unit I have (and using) is identical to the original. Right down to the plastic nugget.

Since I noticed you mentioned plastic nugget - what's your favorite plastic nugget glue ?

Archived