CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Saga Continues...

phillydude

Looking back, I see I failed to mention something else that happened today at the dealership (It was indeed General Sales, Scotty). After I paid the bill for my oil change, I went to leave and the car wouldn't start. Tried a couple times, all power came on as normal, but turning the key to engage the starter just produced a loud "clunk" and the power basically shut down (dash lights, interior lights, etc). I went back to the service counter, and the advisor took my keys to check it out. He returned in a few minutes, saying "It started no problem... it's running now." I thought it was odd, and asked if the mechanic might have disconnected the battery (thinking the cable might be loose, considering they had just told me I "might" need a new one). "Nope" was the reply, and I drove off to work, had the valet park the car in the garage in my building, and go to work, then off to to the Sixers game with my buddy (who drove, leaving my car in the garage for me to pick up later).

After the game, my buddy drops me off at my garage, the valet brings the car down with no problems (the screeching noise from the engine bay is still there) and I cruise to one of my favorite watering holes for a nightcap (a Diet Coke). Come out about an hour later, go to start the car, and the same problem as from when I picked it up. Turn the key, all the lights come on as normal, turn further to start, and clunk/nothing.

I'm guessing it's either the battery cable (less likely, because I wouldn't get ANY power if the cable had failed, right?) or the compressor failed and is keeping the starter from turning the motor? It's just funny that it would have started intermittently throughout the day. Also, when my buddy came back with cables to try and jump it, the voltage reading in the DIC was 11.7... after we hooked the jumper cables up it was 12.1... but it didn't get any higher when he revved up his engine. The cables did nothing to help the problem at all, so I left the car and he drove me home.

I've got to get the car off the street by 10am tomorrow... I'm going to call the dealership first thing and see if they can have it towed, otherwise I'll call a tow truck myself and have it brought to my house (I live two doors from a service station, who does most of my "basic" maintenance). I'll keep you posted and will look for possible replies as to what the problem may be in the morning.

ps. Of course I didn't check for codes.. would they provide any insight?

The positive battery cable or the end of the cable that attaches to the battery terminal, if it's a two piece could cause this. It's happened to me on both of my Caddys; still get power to all accessories just won't turn over. Check to see if the battery terminals are clean and making a good conection.

sebring06RTP.jpg

ANOTHER THREAD, OMG! :lol::lol::lol: Now I am REALLY confused..

Anyway as Bronson said take the positive cable off and carefully watch how it comes apart and pull the rubber insulator off, there are 2 cables in there with a spacer or washer (cant remember) and white and green acid corrosion gets in there an f's up the works, either by battery corrosion spray or mix up for baking soda and water and douse the cable connectors till they are clean with a brush and flush with water

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

General Sales is owned by the Ruggeries and they are good honest people, if you see George Rugerrie, tell him Mike Connor says hello! I used to live in Havertown and my parents bought all their Caddy's from George. Mike

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Take the belt off and see if it starts, your AC compressor might be locked up.

Also the positive cables are known for going bad.

This certainly does sound like a possibility if you are getting screeching. You might also want to look over your tensioner to see if its binding, however the dealer has kind of narrowed it down to the compressor, your hub is probably dragging and binding, it wont be long, I would bypass it today its not a hard job you will need a broom handle and a 1/2 inch breaker bar. Mike

It sounds like you have a few problems going on

Archived