CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Controller Area Network (CAN) Scan Tool

newbold1

I just ordered the EZ-Scan 4000 scan tool manufactured by AutoXray, Inc. This will replace my Innova 3100 OBD-II Code Reader made by EQUUS Products, Inc. The EZ-Scan 4000 claims to be CAN-compliant and will hopefully allow me to read and reset codes on my 2004 CTS. The Innova 3100 tool doesn't work on the CTS. In any case, this new scan tool should arrive on Tuesday 11/9 and I will post the results here once I try it out.

Ohh...I see tonight in October MotorAge mag....that the Equus 3110 version can be electronically upgraded to CAN.

The GM tech 2 requires a Vetronix CANDI cable/module.

Some newer GMs are ste up for CAN. Saturn ION is one....I think the CTS is the other...

I received the new EZ-Scan 4000 from Auto X-Ray today and tried it out on my 2004 CTS. It seems to work just fine. :D The price for it was $275. This may be a cheaper alternative compared to some of the other options that currently exist.

The 2004 CTS does use the CAN protocol. The EZ-Scan tool actually shows on the screen that it is recognizing that protocol when preparing to check for DTCs.

Another nice feature is that this scanner came with a wire to connect to your computer serial port. The purpose of that connection is to allow you to download software upgrades and updates to keep the scanner current as new technology comes out over the next few years. :)

Archived