CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wheel berrings

burekv

While getting my tires rotated and balanced, I was told I should my front passenger wheel berring. How hard is this to repair? Any help would be appreciated.

Have a great day!!!!

What's wrong with the bearing? does it make noise? Tonns of iformation in archives. You might want to check it out and if still have questions we'll be glad to help you.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The job is really not hard , but it is directly related to your past experience. A friend of mine who has a service station/car repair and myself tag teamed my 96 SLS, the other day and changed both out in 55 minutes start to finish. Their again this was not our first Rodeo. I looked at six different brands of hubs , including AC DELCO, and the only brand that i could find made in the US was at Idiot Zone and was made by the old TIMKIN BEARING company which has been around for years and has always made a quality product. The parts man at the Caddy shop along with myself were unable to find anything on the box or in the box stating where it was made at. He said a lot of their parts were coming from CHINA now . I put the TIMKIN BEARINGS ON , and everything up frount is smooth no . Check the archives out for how to .

THis is an easy job once you get the caliper/rotor off. You will need a large socket for the axle nut, a torque wrench, and possibly a puller to separate the axle from the hub assembly but I often can separate it with a brass rod and heavy hammer. Once you do that, the hub comes off with 4 bolts that you access through the flange. I attached a photo of the front hub area, Mike

post-3-1099791973.jpg

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

You are welcome, good luck with it, if you have any other questions let us know

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

In an earlier post it was said that it may be necessary to get a puller to seperate the hub assembly from the axle. How hard is it to seperate? Are there bolts to loosen? I guess i need a little more information on this.

Thanks in advance.

When you remove the wheel and rotor (#3) you will be looking at the hub assembly (#6). There will be a hole in the flange in which to insert a socket to remove three bolts (#4) by rotating the hub to line up with each one. At that point it may just slide off the splined axle shaft or may need a puller (mine did). If you use a puller you'll need to put a tire iron or some sort of a long bar behind the knuckle (#7) to prevent pulling the axle out with the hub assembly. Just watch it as you are pulling it. If the axle seems to be coming out with the hub you'll see where to block it on the back side between the knuckle and the CV joint.

I have to do this as well. This may be a stupid question, but because I am not looking at it I don't know the answer. Can I simply remove the rotor with the caliper still attached (after unbolting it from the knuckle) or will I have to remove both of them seperately?

Thanks,

Can I simply remove the rotor with the caliper still attached (after unbolting it from the knuckle) or will I have to remove both of them seperately?

:blink::blink: probably you could if the brake hose was long enough and you had unbolted the caliper bracket as well. But why? Just remove the caliper bolts/pins and slide the caliper off the rotor and hang it with a wire on the coil spring. Besides, it is a good opportunity to inspect the caliper bolts and related bushings.

I have to do this as well. This may be a stupid question, but because I am not looking at it I don't know the answer. Can I simply remove the rotor with the caliper still attached (after unbolting it from the knuckle) or will I have to remove both of them seperately?

Thanks,

No -you need to remove the rotor to access the bearing and you must remove the brake caliper from the steering knuckle in order to remove the rotor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

a 2 or 3 jaw puller will work equally well in removing the axle from the hub.

I used as a pooler the rotor itself and a couple of pieces of steel bars/angles. The assembly came out easily.

Archived