CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering wheel color

Jeff

Does anyone know how to re-dye or re-color the steering wheel on my SLS? It's just been worn off where my hand always rides. I have that "shale" color- no wood. I hate to replace it.

Thanks again- B)

Jeff

I planned on getting the same cover for my sterring wheel...it is not just faded, but little gouges are taken out of the rim too! it is very ugly.

I have been to tied up to devote some time to getting one though, as the one I want is sold at Autozone, and that involves the whole boarder hassel to get there.

This is the one I want...

post-3-1099689743.jpg

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Is that the one sold at Autozone? Does it slip over the entire wheel? I have seen one that is just the "wood part" that leaves part of the wheel exposed.

Replacing the steering wheel involves messing with the air bag! This can be dangerous and should be done by a qualified professional. I would use the replacement route as a last resort and explore the other options first.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Replacing the steering wheel involves messing with the air bag! This can be dangerous and should be done by a qualified professional. I would use the replacement route as a last resort and explore the other options first.

Is removing the air bag really as big as a deal as everyone seems to think it is? I realize it should be handled with care but has anyone every had one go off on removal or installation?

Replacing the steering wheel involves messing with the air bag!  This can be dangerous and should be done by a qualified professional.  I would use the replacement route as a last resort and explore the other options first.

Is removing the air bag really as big as a deal as everyone seems to think it is? I realize it should be handled with care but has anyone every had one go off on removal or installation?

I have removed an airbag before. It is not a big deal but you do need to take a few precausions. Actual removal is simple, 4 screws from behind.

I went to an Autozone this weekend to get that steering wheel cover, but the store I went to had every cover imaginable except that one I wanted! Darn!

I didn't have any time to shop around at other stores, so I guess I'll just wait until I am in Detroit again to find it.

IF I EVER (lol) do find the dang thing, I'll post about the quality/hokeyness factor, and assuming I purchase it, some pics to.

Jeff: I'd like to see those wood overlays you mentioned. Keep hunting for that picture!

Scott

If this was a truck discussion board I probably wouldn't be posting this, however, since caddy owners are stereotypically more refined this may be appropriate. Certain hand lotions are rough on leather steering wheels. The leather may discolor, swell, and even fray. Something to think about.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Those fake overlaping steering wheel covers are horrible for Cadillacs.

How can you take such beautiful cars and then throw a cheap fake wood steering wheel cover over it.

I would be buying a new steering wheel or something.

UGGhhhhhh

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Yep, I agree... but to spend over $500 dollars to do it right it a big jump to take. My steering wheel looks horrible right now with the leather all chewed up. I would rather have someone think I have a hokey steering wheel cover at worst, than see the bruised up rim the way it is now.

I plan on sending my steering wheel to american-stitches.com, to have the wood and leather conversion done, as soon as I can find a way of doing without a steering wheel for 2 weeks.

Scott

WAIT....$500 is WAY TOO MUCH.....

go to exoticwooddash.com......they are the biggest seller of wood etc out there, you probably have seen their ads in all automotive mags.

They charge $299 for a complete factory wood job on the steering wheel.....still too rich for my blood at this time but I would go with them and save 200.

hmm...thanks for the reference Msilva,

I filled out their search process, and it said they could not help me out. Their program seems to be a trade-in-your-steering wheel-for-a-new-one deal.

The $500 dollars I stated is in Canuck cash. The US price for the service was $451 (I called them and worked it out). With the exchange rate (which is actually pretty close right now), the Canadian price goes well over $500.

Scott

Archived