CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

200,000 Miles!!!!

Ed Hall

My odometer rolled over the 200,000 mile mark the other day. I bought the car with 160K miles and have been very pleased with the reliability. It actually runs quite a bit better then when I bought it. It had a rough idle and a torque converter that did not lock up. I fixed the idle by setting the gap on the missing cylinder down to .050 and the torque converter healed on its own!! Actually, somebody was tailgating me while I was driving up the grade the other day so I floored it and got way ahead of the guy. From then on, the converter has been locking up like it should!!

Things that I have replaced on the car are:

4 new struts

alternator

water pump

heater core

astroroof gasket

plugs and wires

New Tires and Wheels

Next thing I need to do is replace the headliner. The part of the headliner that slides over the moonroof opening started to droop after my heater core leaked all over the inside of the car. I'll probably just end up replacing the whole headliner. I priced it out today and it looks like I can buy the material for under $25.00

Here are some pictures of how she looks at 200,000 miles

PICT0021.jpg

Cadillac.jpg

IPB Image

Cadillacs are great cars and if you keep them up, they'll give good service for many years. (And they're worth keeping up because they're such great cars to begin with.)

Your's looks great!! The wheels really freshen up the appearance, too!

BTW, going up the grade is the best part of my evening commute ;)

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

eddie,

nice wheels in the 2nd picture...

What are they from?

Call me curious...

Believe it or not, the wheels and tires are from a Land Rover Freelander. They are 17" wheels with 225-55-R17 tires. This is about as large as you can fit on this car without any modifications. These tires sure corners a lot better than the old ones and I can floor it at any wet oily intersection and it won't break loose. The old tires would just sit there and spin even with dry pavement.

I also have 4 more of these wheels and tires that I'm going to sell shortly for a good price. The styling is slightly different, but they too are brand new.

IPB Image

Looks like you have been keeping your digital camera in the car to snap the historic picture ;) and it happened on a highway at 64 mph :o

This was also in heavy Los Angeles traffic. I was driving about 75 mph but did slow down to 64 mph in the slow lane when it turned over.

IPB Image

Love it! Its beautiful. I have to laugh, you got a photo at exactly 200K now thats forward thinking, I hope you didn't create a pileup! :lol: (you should have reset the trip mileage also :lol: )

Congrats, I have a '88 Sedan Deville that is still at 139k (and change). I use to own a '86 Seville but, it died on me. a few years ago .

So congrats on you still rollin strong.

Peace

ByStorm

astroroof gasket
BTW, what is the difference between sunroof, moonroof and astroroof?

how about cloudroof? :lol:

I'm not exactly sure but my astroroof both slides back and tilts. It might just be the name that Cadillac decided to call it or maybe moonroofs just slide back and sunroofs just tilts up.

IPB Image

I always though (may be wrong) that a sun roof was metal (usually same color as the roof) and a moon roof was glass (usually smoked) with an internal sliding shade matching the headliner that operated manually and seperately. I am clueless as to an astroroof.

I've had lots of sunroofs and moonroofs, mostly on Japanese cars. The openings were very small.

I always assumed the enormous Caddillac sliders were called Astroroofs because of their huge proportions, much like the Astrodome was the biggest stadium in its day.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Gee Ed,

I thought you rushed to the scene of the accident Dasher was talking about and stripped those brutish looking wheels from the Hummer H2...LOL. They must attract the babes, I guess. ;)

Congratulations!

Gee Ed,

I thought you rushed to the scene of the accident Dasher was talking about and stripped those brutish looking wheels from the Hummer H2...LOL. They must attract the babes, I guess. ;)

Congratulations!

Don't have any babes in my life. I think I must scare them off. :)

IPB Image

QUOTE (MAC @ Nov 5 2004, 04:07 AM)

Gee Ed,

I thought you rushed to the scene of the accident Dasher was talking about and stripped those brutish looking wheels from the Hummer H2...LOL. They must attract the babes, I guess.

Congratulations! 

Don't have any babes in my life. I think I must scare them off. 

It is not the wheels what scares them off, it is the odometer! :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

astroroof gasket
BTW, what is the difference between sunroof, moonroof and astroroof?

how about cloudroof? :lol:

I'm not exactly sure but my astroroof both slides back and tilts. It might just be the name that Cadillac decided to call it or maybe moonroofs just slide back and sunroofs just tilts up.

also pontiac now has the panoramic roof. its a sun/moonroof, that consists of 4 glass pieces that fold together to look like fins. its an option on the G6. check it out sometime, ITS ILL SON!

It is not the wheels what scares them off, it is the odometer! :lol:

This is what really scares them off!! :D:D

I'm just removed the tranny and it is currently on the bench being rebuilt. If all goes well, it will be running by next week.

088ea2d5.jpg

IPB Image

Archived