CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wait 3 Minutes Message

Michele

Got wait 3 minute message today after work today. Waited till car told me to start car and got the 3 minute again. Gave up took company car home and will try spare key tomorrow and hope it starts. Question is what to look for if spare key doesn't work. I read in other post about checking for loose wires etc. Is there any way to disable the security system? The car is a 92 STS. Thanks in advance for any advice.............

happend to me once, disarm via the key in the driver door lock, and start. i also used a differnt key, also try to clean the little micro chip in the key with rubbing alchol, make sure its clean. i cant think of anything else. good luck ;)

Another possibility is the broken wires in the ignition lock. I believe KHE had the same problem a couple of months ago. If it's the case you can replace the ignition lock or fool the anti theft system by installing a specific resistor to bypass the key and broken wires.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

If after cleaning the contacts in the ignition lock assembly (visible by looking into the key slot) and using the spare key, the problem persists, you need to check the ignition lock PASS key wires. It will require removing the airbag, steering wheel, lock plate and turn signal switch. You will need a lock plate compressor - I made mine but you can also rent them from any auto parts store.

Check the small white wires at the lock cylinder where they flex - mine had one wire that was almost broken and making intermittent contact. The fix was a new ignition lock assembly - $45 at the dealer (he wanted $65 but cut me a deal). It was $25 to have the lock re-keyed to my existing keys at a local locksmith. If I ever need to do this repair again, I can re-key my own lock.

The other alternative is to measure the resistance of the key pellet with a digital volt meter and then purchase a resistor with a value as close as you can to the key pellet resistance. Under the lower dash panel, locate a flat, orange wire about the size of modulat telephone wire and cut the end that goes up into the steering column. Peel the orange, outer jacket away and solder the resistor to the wires that lead away from the column and you're done. This alternative is definitely the least expensive route but your PASS theft deterrent system will no longer function.

I chose to replace the lock cylinder and used the old harness to make a "cheater cord". If the system ever acts up again, it won't leave me stranded as I will be able to unplug the lock cylinder wires and plug in the cheater cord.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

As KHE has explained (as always in great detail) it may be a $1.00 or about $100 fix. If you decide to replace the lock the wires will last for some 8-10 years definitely.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The desciption is a little wrong. You do not want the resister inline. You want it across the body side of the harness. The upper provided link has a image that explains it better.

Got wait 3 minute message today after work today. Waited till car told me to start car and got the 3 minute again. Gave up took company car home and will try spare key tomorrow and hope it starts. Question is what to look for if spare key doesn't work. I read in other post about checking for loose wires etc. Is there any way to disable the security system? The car is a 92 STS. Thanks in advance for any advice.............

I had the same problem and it was caused by a weak battery. Replaced the battery and the problem was solved.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived