CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can(s) of R-134

Eddie

Gentlemen,

In the past, (pre caddy ownership times) I have safely added refridgerant to my car's a/c system with the understanding that the system would only take what it needed from the can of R-134?.

This week, I authorized my mechanic to test the system for 134 level, turned out I was 12 oz's short of system full charge.

He strongly urged me NOT to recharge on my own, so not to overcharge the system....and blpw out rings/seals etc....

Are there any comments on this?

Five bucks vs 70 bucks....pay him now/pay him later?

Thanks in advance.

How did he determine that you were 12 oz low? Did he recover and weigh the refrigerant charge and compare it to the specification label on the accumulator?

My guess is that he was monitoring the high and low pressure readings with a manifold gage set. You can get close that way but not exact. You are probably OK to add one can of R-134a. The mechanic's concern is if you were to add multiple cans of R-134a and overcharge the system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yes, the shop hooked big daddy up to the evac/recharge machine. I had the shop add the 12 oz's.

Was just wondering how likely it is to overcharge. I had prior advice that adding a can was (as you indicated) is ok if the system is running low.

Thanks for your constructive resonse Kevin.

Having to ask,

Eddie

You can very easily overcharge the system if you are not monitoring the high and low pressure readings.

If the vent temperature (when the climate control is set to 60) does not feel cool enough, you are probably OK to add one can of R-134a. Without gages, that's as far as I would go.

Having to add 12oz of R-134a after 8 years is not unusual. You are probably set for another 8 years. ;)

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived