CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

how to use the diagnosis and ac control

you can adjust the temperature readout but its not actually making the a/c colder.

Like if you have it set at 71 and its a comfortable temperature you can adjust that to say 75 and it will feel the same. It wont change the fan speed or blend doors any it just changes the readout of what temp you are choosing. Theres really no point in messing with it. 90 is always full blast heat and 60 is always full blast a/c. Once you find the comfortable temp in between just stick with it.

Here is the diagnostic instructions

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb-tech.html

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

If you want better controls though you should swap in the roadmaster controls. Ive done the swap. The roadmaster controls plug right in and you can control where the heat or cold comes out. The fleetwood only puts out heat out of the top dash vent but roadmaster you can control it to the front vents or floor or anything. The fleetwood controls were a big mistake.

If you want better controls though you should swap in the roadmaster controls. Ive done the swap. The roadmaster controls plug right in and you can control where the heat or cold comes out. The fleetwood only puts out heat out of the top dash vent but roadmaster you can control it to the front vents or floor or anything. The fleetwood controls were a big mistake.

If your car is putting heat only out the top dash vent (defroster vent), there is a vacuum leak somewhere under the dash. The system should put heat out the floor. Vent and A/C should come out the middle dash vents unless the drfroster is selected.

The reason heat can't be selected to come out the middle dash vents is that it has a tendency to dry the passengers' eyes. Also, putting the heat on the floor will heat the car faster since it will heat up the cool air on the floor first.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If your car is putting heat only out the top dash vent (defroster vent), there is a vacuum leak somewhere under the dash. The system should put heat out the floor. Vent and A/C should come out the middle dash vents unless the drfroster is selected.

The reason heat can't be selected to come out the middle dash vents is that it has a tendency to dry the passengers' eyes. Also, putting the heat on the floor will heat the car faster since it will heat up the cool air on the floor first.

I dont think so. Every fleetwood owner says the same thing about the crappy heating system. In a fleetwood your only options are hot and cold, fan speed or defrost. If you put it on hot then it puts the air out where it wants to. If you put it on cold it puts it where it wants to, you have no choice. With the roadmaster controls I can control the heat to come out anywhere and it works fine. Its a common swap people do because of the dumb fleetwood design.

I was sick and tired of freezing in the car after a couple months of cold weather and ended up doing the swap. When its 0 out you want hot air blowing on your cold hands and just blowing through the vehicle not blowing out of 1 vent on the top dash pad that you cant even reach with your hands. It took forever for the car to heat up that way.

i might have to do that. ppreciate the info. thats a clean lac u got. im still debating if i wanna throw switches on mine or just throw a set of knockoffs on it and let it be

that coupe in my avatar is just a show car weekend fun ride. Has a 350 in it and really nice hydraulic setup.

In my opinion fleetwoods are more nice stock than with hydros. I like a smooth ride so I wouldnt cut my fleetwood. I have daytons on it for some of the year but I have nice chrome stocks and whitewalls for the rest. You have to have actual daytons on the back or 6" wide wire rims to clear the skirts also. And I get tired of doing the math trying to figure out how fast Im really going with the smaller wheels. 85% of 60mph is.... Fleetwoods look good lowered but Ill take the nice ride over that anyday. I always got my show car for fun :)

I dont think so. Every fleetwood owner says the same thing about the crappy heating system. In a fleetwood your only options are hot and cold, fan speed or defrost. If you put it on hot then it puts the air out where it wants to. If you put it on cold it puts it where it wants to, you have no choice. With the roadmaster controls I can control the heat to come out anywhere and it works fine. Its a common swap people do because of the dumb fleetwood design.

I was sick and tired of freezing in the car after a couple months of cold weather and ended up doing the swap. When its 0 out you want hot air blowing on your cold hands and just blowing through the vehicle not blowing out of 1 vent on the top dash pad that you cant even reach with your hands. It took forever for the car to heat up that way.

My Fleetwood does not do what you describe - When the system calls for heat, it comes out on the floor or partially on the floor and partially out the dash vents on the face of the dash. The only time it comes out the defrost vent is when I select the defrost mode. The 1994 model got the defog button that could be used to split the air between the defroster grille and the floor outlets.

I still think you have something going on with a vacuum line somewhere.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My Fleetwood does not do what you describe - When the system calls for heat, it comes out on the floor or partially on the floor and partially out the dash vents on the face of the dash. The only time it comes out the defrost vent is when I select the defrost mode. The 1994 model got the defog button that could be used to split the air between the defroster grille and the floor outlets.

wow, thats the first ive heard of heat working like that in a fleetwood. Maybe 93s were different I havent heard from anyone with a 93. On boards with fleetwood owners everyone says the same thing about the heat and coming out the top. And mine works just fine with the roadmaster controls through all vents so IDK weird quirk I guess. :huh:

i might have to do that. ppreciate the info. thats a clean lac u got. im still debating if i wanna throw switches on mine or just throw a set of knockoffs on it and let it be

that coupe in my avatar is just a show car weekend fun ride. Has a 350 in it and really nice hydraulic setup.

In my opinion fleetwoods are more nice stock than with hydros. I like a smooth ride so I wouldnt cut my fleetwood. I have daytons on it for some of the year but I have nice chrome stocks and whitewalls for the rest. You have to have actual daytons on the back or 6" wide wire rims to clear the skirts also. And I get tired of doing the math trying to figure out how fast Im really going with the smaller wheels. 85% of 60mph is.... Fleetwoods look good lowered but Ill take the nice ride over that anyday. I always got my show car for fun :)

that is true trying to guess how fast your going lol. i got the rims that are on mine off of a 94 fleetwood and according to the dealership their hard to find factory stocks. but their 72 spoke chrome lip with gold nipples and wires and the center cap has the cadillac emblem. i want to lower it about another inch but dont want to cut the springs and defiantley dont wanna heat them. any suggests on lowering it?

wow, thats the first ive heard of heat working like that in a fleetwood. Maybe 93s were different I havent heard from anyone with a 93. On boards with fleetwood owners everyone says the same thing about the heat and coming out the top. And mine works just fine with the roadmaster controls through all vents so IDK weird quirk I guess. :huh:

i havent used my heater yet so i dont know how it comes out. ill try it tonight when its not so hot out and see what it does. but thats weird that it only comes out the dash on fleetwoods.

that is true trying to guess how fast your going lol. i got the rims that are on mine off of a 94 fleetwood and according to the dealership their hard to find factory stocks. but their 72 spoke chrome lip with gold nipples and wires and the center cap has the cadillac emblem. i want to lower it about another inch but dont want to cut the springs and defiantley dont wanna heat them. any suggests on lowering it?

Id have to see the wheels to see what exactly they are. You can put cadillac emblems on any wheel. But 72 spoke usually means worth alot of money :) They could be daytons or cadillac made some wire wheels back in the day too.

When we were kids we would heat up the springs to lower cars but thats about the worst option. These cars use the same springs as caprice, impala ss, roadmaster etc and there are alot of racing type guys that buy the impala ss so there are alot of lower springs and other racing stuff available. Lowering springs would be the best option because you can always change them out. Go on impalassforum.com to look and see what others are using.

i checked on the heater and it didnt seem like it was coming out the dash. but where ever it was coming out from it heated the car up quickly. couldnt really look for where it was coming from i was driving on the highway.

it was probably 80 outside and it warmed up your car quick huh? lol ok wait til its 0 then try it :) Well Im in nebraska its cold more months then it is warm so my heated seats and heater get used alot so I make sure they work :D

i checked on the heater and it didnt seem like it was coming out the dash. but where ever it was coming out from it heated the car up quickly. couldnt really look for where it was coming from i was driving on the highway.

it was probably 80 outside and it warmed up your car quick huh? lol ok wait til its 0 then try it :) Well Im in nebraska its cold more months then it is warm so my heated seats and heater get used alot so I make sure they work :D

Come on down to Texas...

You will need Air Conditioned seats (like in my DTS) and a good AC... :D :D

It is still 105 and it is after 6PM here...

Here is a pic from last week...

IMG_0011.jpg

Posted Image

Come on down to Texas...

IMG_0011.jpg

yep youre on the other side of the spectrum. We got over a 100 a few times this year but not months on end like you guys.

On those cooled seats is it just fans in the seats or is it actually fans moving air from the evaporator core? Just fans would probably work but cold air would be even more nice. A salesman I know was telling me about them one time and said he flipped it on for a lady in a dress he was giving a test drive and she made a very enthusiastic high pitched ohhhhhhh when it came on :lol:

Come on down to Texas...

yep youre on the other side of the spectrum. We got over a 100 a few times this year but not months on end like you guys.

On those cooled seats is it just fans in the seats or is it actually fans moving air from the evaporator core? Just fans would probably work but cold air would be even more nice. A salesman I know was telling me about them one time and said he flipped it on for a lady in a dress he was giving a test drive and she made a very enthusiastic high pitched ohhhhhhh when it came on :lol:

I was in Nebraska just a few days ago...

It is actually COLD AIR from the AC...

I love it.. it blows up thru the bottom of the seat and also blows out the back of the seat.

In the winter time, you can turn the heated seat on and then turn on the back massager and get a nice heated back rub while you are driving to work. :) :)

Posted Image

On those cooled seats is it just fans in the seats or is it actually fans moving air from the evaporator core?

Believe it or not, it actually uses a heating element somehow. It was once explained to me by a GM tech on CF, but I never really understood it. Seems rather counter productive to me as the heat (however much there is) is expelled under the seat, but I guess it works.

Come on down to Texas...

I was in Nebraska just a few days ago...

It is actually COLD AIR from the AC...

I love it.. it blows up thru the bottom of the seat and also blows out the back of the seat.

In the winter time, you can turn the heated seat on and then turn on the back massager and get a nice heated back rub while you are driving to work. :) :)

I had the heated and massaging seats in my 2000 DTS. My 96 gets sorta warm but anything newer like 98 and up and this goes for any GM they get HOT! I cant stand full hi heat on my seat in my DTS I had or my wifes Buick. The only times I used that massager was a few times I had a sore back. Cant say it helped but it didnt feel bad either.

Hope your travels through nebraska were, enjoyable...

On those cooled seats is it just fans in the seats or is it actually fans moving air from the evaporator core?

Believe it or not, it actually uses a heating element somehow. It was once explained to me by a GM tech on CF, but I never really understood it. Seems rather counter productive to me as the heat (however much there is) is expelled under the seat, but I guess it works.

Id really like to hear that one explained. Kind of like a heat pump in your house that the a/c pumps out cold air or whatever to make heat lol.

Id really like to hear that one explained. Kind of like a heat pump in your house that the a/c pumps out cold air or whatever to make heat lol.

All of the Cadillacs "EXCEPT" the DTS, use Peltier elements...

The DTS uses ducts and gets the cold air from the AC unit.

A little explanation of how Peltier units works.

http://en.wikipedia....lectric_cooling

http://en.wikipedia....electric_effect

Posted Image

lol yea it was like 83 outside. i live in texas and it doesnt get down to 0 got close to it back in jan or feb dont remember all i know is it was freezin and at the time i had a 88 caprice and the doors were iced shut lol.

Come on down to Texas...

IMG_0011.jpg

lol i already know i live down here around the houston area but i dont use my a/c since i mainly drive at night and its a little bit cooler then

lol i already know i live down here around the houston area but i dont use my a/c since i mainly drive at night and its a little bit cooler then

Heck... I use my AC anytime it is above about 60 degrees....

Don't matter if it is night or day... :)

I sweat too bad to not use the AC...

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

it was probably 80 outside and it warmed up your car quick huh? lol ok wait til its 0 then try it smile.gif Well Im in nebraska its cold more months then it is warm so my heated seats and heater get used alot so I make sure they work biggrin.gif

I live in Indianapolis/Central Illinois so i know what you mean when you say cold. I always have the top vent issue and never feel it coming elsewhere. I own a '96 model. When you talked about the roadmaster swap did it bolt right up because the fleetwood brackets are on top and roadmaster are on the side of the control unit.

Archived