CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Headlight aiming

adallak

Anybody with 93-96 Fleetwoods? How are your lights?

The lighting pattern and uniformity of the factory-aimed headlamps on my original, low mileage 1995 Fleetwood Brougham are excellent. It sounds like dirt accumulation may be affecting the performance of the reflector, as the glass lense is not susceptible to age-related opacity like the newer polycarbonate units.

Anybody with 93-96 Fleetwoods? How are your lights?

The lighting pattern and uniformity of the factory-aimed headlamps on my original, low mileage 1995 Fleetwood Brougham are excellent. It sounds like dirt accumulation may be affecting the performance of the reflector, as the glass lense is not susceptible to age-related opacity like the newer polycarbonate units.

Did you check aiming on a wall 25 feet away? How does the factory-set aiming look like? Just trying to understand what's wrong with MY Fleetwood.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Looks like Silverstars do not last.

I ran Silverstars in my '99 STS for 5 years without a failure.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

When I handle bulbs, I clean my fingers with alcohol first... before handling the bulb.

After I install the bulb, I wipe it with a clean cloth wet with alcohol.

In my opinion...The oil on your skin can/will contribute to much shorter bulb life...

Posted Image

When I handle bulbs, I clean my fingers with alcohol first... before handling the bulb.

After I install the bulb, I wipe it with a clean cloth wet with alcohol.

In my opinion...The oil on your skin can/will contribute to much shorter bulb life...

Gentlemen, my knowledge of Silverstars bulbs is only based on reviews. I do believe people treat all bulbs equally (with or without touching them with fingers).

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Did you check aiming on a wall 25 feet away? How does the factory-set aiming look like? Just trying to understand what's wrong with MY Fleetwood.

I've never felt the need to check the aiming, and the car is in storage at the moment. My 2002 DHS is another story. The light output was poor; I could not achieve acceptable results while following the procedure outlined in the service manual. It appears that the long term use of high-output aftermarket lamps (by the original owner, Rain-Sense always active, so they were always running at full intensity) resulted in some damage or contamination of the reflectors. After installing 2 used headlamp assemblies (with OEM bulbs), the performance is now acceptable, but not as uniform as some older glass units, which may be a function of the design.

Correct. I used the same bulbs from my STS then into my DTS and in over 5 years I think I replaced 1 once. I dont take a chance with touching the bulb and then wiping it off, better to just not touch it at all I think. I bought some cheapo fog lamp bulbs that matched the silverstar color and I went through those every 6 months. Silverstars are definately a better product than those xenon and other cheapo bulbs out there.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Archived