CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

my car is over heating and loosing collant

Hi I'm new to the site and I'm drying myself crazy. Just resignedly purchased a 1998 deville d'elegance with only 96,000 mile. I had this car for about 2 months. Every since had got this car it have been over heating on me. I don't see the coolant disappearing or drip unless i just got done driving or while drive.I change the water pump and the thermostat, flushed the syststem, change the belt and checked the radiator. But still can't figure out the problem. The car rides like a champ when it's not overheat.The car overheated on me like 3 good times and every other time it warned me to shut done engine which i did. When i open the hood up after drive you can hear the coolant tank boiling like hell. can some help me PRETTY PLZ?

Thank you in advance

Sounds like a blown headgasket to me; your getting exhaust gases passing into the coolant.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

easy check. When the engin is cold. remove the surge tank cap and smell for exhaust fumes.

This sounds like my 96 eldorado I used to have. It was blowing exhaust into the cooling system when driving on the highway.

If I drove in the city it was ok but as soon s I did some moderate acceleration it quickly overheated.

What happens is that the headbolts pull from the block and as the engine heats up it spreads the gap between the headgasket.

Good luck to you. I have to say if the car is in otherwise good shape it is most definately worth the job of timeserting the engine

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

thankyou all for the responses. But lately ever since i put the water pump on it haven't been loosing coolant or overheat quick it take like a good hour or so before overheating now. do everyone still think its the heads.

Good Evening!! I have a 98 Deville and I am not sure if the heads are going or not. I was told by a Caddy dealership that the heads were leaking, but its not showing ANY symptoms of that!! Its not leaking externally..like no oil on the ground nor white steam coming out of the tailpipe nor has the antifreeze nixed with the oil. The car runs like a champ. The waterpump was shot to hell though. I changed that out but only to learn the crossover gasket is leaking!!!! Its the one thats right under the pumphousing. Is that hard to replace?

Yes, the crossover manifold gaskets are a bear to change.

Northstars rarely ever leak coolant in the oil when a HG fails. Steam from the tail pipes will only show when it gets bad, not in the early stages. If you suspect a bad HG, get a block test kit and do your own test for exhaust gases in the surge tank before doing the crossover manifold. If the HG's have to be done, the crossover will have to come off anyway and the drivetrain will be out of the car making it much easier to do at that time.

hello, i also have a 1998 cadillac deville, during the winter i didnt notice anything was wrong, but when summer came around it started over heating. it would lose coolant out of the surge tank pressure cap hose. so i wanted to find out what the problem was. i checked the thermostat, there wasnt one. so i put one in and everything seemed good. the next day my heater core blew up. so i replaced my heater core. everything seemed good. a few days later i started blowing out white or gray smoke. but its not over heating anymore. so thats the head gaskets right? how would i change the head gaskets. i know its hard but can i do it without dropping the engine or pulling it out?

so thats the head gaskets right?

Could be. What does the "smoke" smell like?

how would i change the head gaskets. i know its hard but can i do it without dropping the engine or pulling it out?

No.

I think it has been done, but so has swimming the English channel.

so thats the head gaskets right?

Could be. What does the "smoke" smell like?

how would i change the head gaskets. i know its hard but can i do it without dropping the engine or pulling it out?

No.

I think it has been done, but so has swimming the English channel.

I've heard of some people doing while in the vehicle but were not able to use a stud kit. Had to timesert. Maybe I'm wrong.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS