CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 Deville dies

grizbbear

I have a 99 deville that dies at traffic lights. I have replaced the map sensor,IA sensor, cleaned the intake throttle and still having the problem. The car starts right back up after it dies, it never throws a service engine light,and if I keep my foot on the gas pedal and keep the RPM's up to 725 or 750 it never dies. What should the RPM's be when in Park and running and when in Drive and does anyone have a solution in order to fix this?

Idle RPM should be 650 (at operating temperature). Could be a bad or dirty IAC valve if the TB was cleaned properly and the intake ducting is installed properly with no air leaks. CKP sensors are another possibility, though the '99's are not known for them. Stuck open EGR valve would cause that as well, but as with the two other suggestion, SHOULD set a DTC.

I agree, EGR, idle control valve or vacuum leak.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I have a 99 deville that dies at traffic lights. I have replaced the map sensor,IA sensor, cleaned the intake throttle and still having the problem. The car starts right back up after it dies, it never throws a service engine light,and if I keep my foot on the gas pedal and keep the RPM's up to 725 or 750 it never dies. What should the RPM's be when in Park and running and when in Drive and does anyone have a solution in order to fix this?

Isn't that also the symptoms of a bad crank position sensor? - I know it's a known issue in the 2000+, but They can go bad in any year. I don't believe they threw a code either when it caused the car to stall.

Isn't that also the symptoms of a bad crank position sensor? - I know it's a known issue in the 2000+, but They can go bad in any year. I don't believe they threw a code either when it caused the car to stall.

I had bad crank sensors in my 2000 and it just died while cruising, never while stopped. Eventually after a few weeks it threw a code once.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I don't have any supporting documentation, but my recollection is that you are correct; an intermittent CKP will not throw a DTC.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

sometimes the only code they throw is a stall or near stall.

definately sounds like a possibility of a bad crank sensor

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived