CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

To timesert or not to timesert that is the q

OK I'm new here and I am (as the name suggests) a Pontiac Fiero guy. I have recently come into the possesion of a dismantled vin 9 N* from a 2002 Seville. I am somewhat familiar with the motor as my son had it installed in his Fiero. It's brief and harsh (sons being sons) life having ended when part of the ring land from #7 cylinder came out at high rpms. It was originally my plan to scrap the block and part out the rest but I have since become interested in upping the wow factor of my own 3800 Supercharged Fiero. It's a gorgeous little car and with some minor mods is doing about 300fwhp but the darn thing gets no attention at the local carshows and it's bugging me. Now on to the matter at hand: I have had the block over to a local engine builder and have been informed the the very minor scoring in the cylinder wall will be no issue at all with some honing. So this leads me to the next question. I have good reason to believe that this is a very low mileage motor (less than 10k miles) and the engine builder said that this seemed evident in his assessment of the parts I showed him. I was on hand when the head bolts were removed and they came out with no bits of metal at all. I don't know if that's all the evidence I need so the question is to timesert or not to timesert? What say you?

Thanks

DF

sorry to me it is a no brainer. Even if you remove the bolts they will likely fail imediately or very soon. Most times they fail in the reinstallation

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I agree with all of the above. It is good insurance.

Most of the expense in timeserting is the removal and re-installation of the engine. Not to mention the disassembly and reassembly.

You already have the engine out and disassembled. You are already 3/4 ;) of the way there.

Britt

I to agree with all of the above, BUT you might also want to consider Norms NS300L inserts http://huhnsolutions.com/. I believe they have a coarser thread pitch. OR Jake's stud kit http://www.northstarperformance.com, also a coarser thread pitch.

a neighbor of mine has a fiero and usually has a few motors on stands in the garage. i drive by often and am curious if the fiero has anything special. it was up on stands last year. think a motor swap was in process. the hard part of a northstar install is the fuel/ign control on a non-caddy car. its not usually cheap to hook up the computer systems on a rod.

a neighbor of mine has a fiero and usually has a few motors on stands in the garage. i drive by often and am curious if the fiero has anything special. it was up on stands last year. think a motor swap was in process. the hard part of a northstar install is the fuel/ign control on a non-caddy car. its not usually cheap to hook up the computer systems on a rod.

As I sad in my first post my son had this motor in a Fiero and ran it with a Megasquirt computer and it ran quite well. He had it dyno tuned and it came in at 295hp. Along the way he managed to somehow loose the tune and didn't have a backup copy. He tried retuning it himself and in my estimation he had some detonation going on. Combine that with the fact that he was always beating the crap out of it was only a matter of time before a major failure. Anyhow it's dads now and I'm looking forward to doing things properly. Alas this seems to include timeserting.

DF

if you think block threads are ok, you could get a set of ARP studs for a VW motor. using the nuts/studs might apply torque at top of cylinder head and reduce or eliminate chances of studs pulling out of block. thats my theory anyway. no one here has tried it.

if you think block threads are ok, you could get a set of ARP studs for a VW motor. using the nuts/studs might apply torque at top of cylinder head and reduce or eliminate chances of studs pulling out of block. thats my theory anyway. no one here has tried it.

With this motor being 2002 I believe it has head bolts of 2 different lengths. Are the Vdub studs offered in different lengths as well? Also does one have to buy a timesert tool or can they be rented somewhere?

DF

Archived