CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wiper Chattering - Slow motor? Rainx?

Hmm, that's all they had was the yellow can with the red stripe on it. I put very little comet in my mixture of oxi-clean and I used a lot of water with little pressure. I haven't noticed any ill effects from what I used to clean it.

So should I not use the yellow can with the red stripe at all? Here is a picture of it by itself of what exactly I have.

bon_ami_powder_cleaner_1_1.jpg

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Crap. So I still have to order it online.

-Dusty-

How is your wiper arm spring tension? I know you changed blades, and possibly arms, but just how much downward force is being generated by the springs? Since your blades are flipping, and your windshield seems to be about as clean as anyone's, that's the only thing I can think of that might be out of whack. Try applying some finger pressure to the blades as they are wiping and chattering, you'll probably need a helper for this. If that doesn't give any satisfaction, try the opposite. I'd tie a string to point where the arm attaches to the blade, and when they chatter, try taking some of the spring tension off..helper also required to hold the hose(s).

Yes, as Jim said 1886 formula. I'm glad you didn't scratch your windshield with the comet.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

• 2 months later...

Okay, it hasn't rained in quite some time so I haven't gotten to check it yet until today. I ended up getting ahold of some bar keepers friend and cleaned the snot out of it again. They still chatter exactly the same way. I tried checking the angles on the blades and tried bending them to different angles with no results. I tried bending the arm to put more pressure on the windshield and vice versa with no results. I also tried relieving the pressure along with pushing down as Johnny said with no luck.

Any other ideas?

-Dusty-

Maybe you should check the wiper motor mounts. The wiper motor is mounted with rubber mounts, and if play develops or if they get soft with age, that would make the wipers more sensitive to the "stick-and-release" situation that causes chatter. What would happen is this: when the wipers stick, the motor moves a little, until it meets the end of the play, and then the wipers start moving again, only for the motor to move back, so that the wipers can stick again, and then it repeats on and on. Maybe you can feel the wiper motor, and check the mounts. You could also look at the motor while running the wipers (so that they chatter), and try to judge if the motor moves excessively with the chattering.

Another possibility (that I have seen) is that the either the upper part or the lower part of the wiper will stick momentarily, so that the wiper moves a little in its connection to the wiper arm. It is hard to describe well in words, but maybe one could say that it wiggles.

All of the above would get worse if the wipers were more prone to sticking and then releasing. Therefore, it may be helpful to find a low-friction blade, even if that could mean treating the symptoms rather than the cause. I know that such blades exist, because I have seen them at one of the biggest automotive discount stores in Sweden (Biltema), but I do not know about finding them in the US. I think they were made of silicon rubber, rather than natural rubber.

Good luck

Jonas

Archived