CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wiper Chattering - Slow motor? Rainx?

Ok here is the dealio, I have my 99 Deville and I've had this problem ever since I bought the thing and it's finally starting to irritate the crap out of me.

What happens is when it's raining, the wipers will skip (chatter) the the down stroke. For some reason when I wash my windshield, they don't chatter. It can be pooring rain outside or sprinkling, it does it all the time. I read that maybe wax or rainx on the winshield could cause this so I tried cleaning the winshield with the following: rubbing alcohol, windex, simple green, and car polish. Nothing helped.

I also read that after awhile the grease inside the motors gets a little sticky and slows down the wipers and it can make them skip because of the lack of speed and power. I have noticed that my wipers are very slow compared to my 93s car and beings it has almost 260,000 miles, that would be a good hint too.

So here are my questions:

1. How do you remove the wiper motor after you take out the three bolts? It's hanging up on the arms I believe, but I'm not sure.

2. What else can I try to make sure that it's still not something on the windshield? I was thinking maybe brake or carb cleaner.

And yes, I've tried numerous wiper blades. All do the same.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

The blades..(the rubber part).. is supposed to move back and forth and change angles, relative to the metal arm, on the upstroke and again on the downstroke.

I have had cars that I had to bend the metal arms JUST A LITTLE to make the blades change angles like they should.

They angle of the rubber part, should be pointing DOWN on the upstroke and UP on the downstroke.

I probably didn't explain that very good... Sorry...

Posted Image

It ain't Rain-X. I use it all the time and if anything it will cure that. That said, because I use Rain-X I never use my wipers. Try taking the rubber blade out and turn it 180 degrees. That has worked for me in the past. If that fails, replace the rubber blade.

i would check the blade angle like Jim said, the arm may have gotten tweaked, bent at some time. If the rubber doesn't flop over when it changes directions it wouldn't work properly.

a couple of things.

I use anco winter blades all the time.

I honestly doubt it has to do with the wiper motor.

I say clean the windshield and replace the blades and see what happens

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I agree with Jim also on a possible bent wiper arm; I would check the alignment (on the wiper arm) and change to a premium beam-type wiper blade.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I have found this to be a dirty windshield. You need to clean the windshield till the water sheets off the windshield without beading. It can be road dirt, tar, pine tar, etc, and while the windshield looks clean its not, it grabs the rubber and the result is what you are getting

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Holy cow! Thanks for all the replies!

Remember from my first post that I have already tried cleaning it several times. Just to make sure, I used brake cleaner last night. I scrubbed it as hard as I could and I went over it twice. It didn't seem to help though.

Also, as I mentioned up top, I have replaced my wiper blades quite a few times and have tried different brands. I'm currently on some Michelin Stealth blades.

This has been going on since I bought it (over a year and a half ago) so that's why I was leaning towards a sticky wiper motor.

Jim's idea makes a lot of sense, I'm going to try that later tonight to see if that works. I turned them on this morning for a bit and they did flip, but barely. How far should I adjust them? Just until it stops chattering and the arm looks flush to the windshield? Or soemthing else?

-Dusty-

Clean the windshild with BonAmi Cleaning Powder - the original formula BonAmi in the yellow and red can with the chicken on it. Wet a rag and apply some BonAmi, scrub the windshield, and rinse. Repeat until water sheets off the windshield. Then use full strength wiper washer fluid and scrub the surface of the blade that contacts the windshield. That should get rid of the chattering. If not, replace the wiper blades.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Wouldn't brake cleaner be stronger than BonAmi?

-Dusty-

not necessarily. brake cleaner is not consistent, and it dries very fast.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Look REAL CLOSE when they flip...

They should be actually DRAGGING the trailing edge of the blade...

If it drags it one way but is real close to vertical the other way... they will chatter...

I use a small Crescent wrench to adjust the angle of the arms to make the rubber blades flip back and forth till they no longer chatter

Posted Image

Your version of cleaning it may be different that my version of cleaning it,

As I said, the water MUST sheet off the window if NOT its not clean if there are ANY BEADS

KHE is correct, I have used Bon-Ami, but its hard to find but whatever you use, make sure its not abrasive, and lose the brake cleaner, last I checked I didnt see glass or mirrors on it

And clean the blades good with window washing solution or alcohol

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was just wondering about the brake cleaner because there is no one around here that sells BonAmi, much less knows what it even is. I know what it is because my dad used to use it, but everywhere I go, they are clueless as to what I'm talking about. Is there anything else besides BonAmi that I can use?

-Dusty-

Actually, I just found 3 places in town that carry it (according to BonAmi's website), but all of them were flooded a few weeks ago. So I guess I'll have to order it online.

Edit: I washed the windshield with a mix of oxiclean and comet and it seemed to have worked for the most part. The passenger side still sticks in one tiny spot every once in a while. Sometimes it take a while for them to start chattering after I have washed it with anything so time will tell. I'm still going to order some BonAmi to clean it.

I also poured a bucket it of water slowly down the windshield and it ran down it sheets.

It has been raining here a lot, so I should be able to let you know if it worked or not.

PS: When I was showing someone the chattering, I realized that it does it in both directions and they seem to be flipping ok.

-Dusty-

An alternative to Bon-Ami is Bartender's Friend; it is a similar, non abrasive, cleansor and should provide with good results.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I was just wondering about the brake cleaner because there is no one around here that sells BonAmi, much less knows what it even is. I know what it is because my dad used to use it, but everywhere I go, they are clueless as to what I'm talking about. Is there anything else besides BonAmi that I can use?

It can be hard to find - I don't know why though. I ran across it at a local hardware store and bought two cans of it. That will probably last me a lifetime.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Finally found some Bon Ami! The closest stuff was 100 miles away, but I got some! The only thing that worries me is that on the can it says not to use on glass, windows or mirrors. Has anyone used it on theirs before to vouch that it doesn't harm it? Thanks!

-Dusty-

There are a couple types of bon-ami, I have used that type you have on my windshield and it worked fine, work it up into a paste and use circular motions on the windshield, it wont take much elbow grease but do not use an abrasive sponge just use a cotton terry cloth rag. If you are reluctant try it on a side window first, flood it with lots of water afterward

Finally found some Bon Ami! The closest stuff was 100 miles away, but I got some! The only thing that worries me is that on the can it says not to use on glass, windows or mirrors. Has anyone used it on theirs before to vouch that it doesn't harm it? Thanks!

I have got a $0.89 can of Bon-Ami and it also warns not to use on windows and mirrors.

Here is their website.

Here is some feedback relating to Bon Ami Powder Cleaner hasn’t scratched yet®. Probably makes sense to email them and ask why they do not think it is good for windows.

"I have used Bon Ami for cleaning automotive windshields ever since BMW recommended your product in response to customer complaints about road grime making it hard to see out in the rain. We use a vinegar and water solution to neutralize acid rain spots then follow up with Bon Ami and the glass looks like new!"

- Steve, October 2010

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Bon Ami 1886 Original Formula now wears a red label to help customers identify it right away.

Being more of a specialty product, it’s a little harder to find. Look for it at your local Ace Hardware store, or on-line at BonAmi.net or Alice.com.

People write in all the time with interesting uses for the 1886 Formula Cleaning Powder. One of the most common is cleaning glass.

The original formula is safe to use on most glass because the tallow soap means that slurry of the powder and a little water will glide over the glass surface, cleaning away dirt but not scratching.

This formula leaves behind a slight, invisible film that protects the glass from salt spray making it a favorite for boats and seaside homes. This film keeps mirrors from fogging up in the bathroom too.

Posted Image

Thanks everyone for the info! I'm going to try it out tomorrow and let you know how I do.

-Dusty-

It's identical to the can of powder on the homepage of the website. Bon Ami

-Dusty-

It's identical to the can of powder on the homepage of the website. Bon Ami

From what I'm seeing at the link you provided, that is not the correct product (yellow can, red stripe). It should be the "1886" formula shown here: http://www.bonami.net/ .

Unfortunately, the Comet has probably done more damage than any of the Bon Ami products already. The damage will only be evident at night, in the rain, and result in additional headlight flair. There is probably nothing that you can do to correct that now, if in fact the windshield is scratched.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived