CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C Question

chazglenn3

When I bought my Caddy a couple of months ago, the A/C was not cold. The dealer recharged the system and it was fine. Today the "Refrigerant Very Low - A/C Compressor Off" message popped up on the DIC. My question is has anyone used one of the cans of R-134a from say Autozone with the stop leak and o-ring conditioners in it? If so, did it take care of the problem? I am a little leery of adding it to the system, so I thought I would ask here first B)

Charles

Charles

Do not use any R-134a with stop leak in it. It just does not work. The best thing to do would be to have the car leak tested, have the leak fixed, and then recharged.

You could add a can of R-134a yourself to get you by for a few weeks. Normally, I would say that a '96 would be due for a topping off of the refrigerant but since you had it recharged two months ago and it is low again indicates there is a moderate leak in the system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. I already bought a can of R-134a with the stop leak in it. Should I return it and just get a can of straight R-134a, or will it be okay to add the stop leak, even though it probably won't fix the leak?

Charles

Charles

Hey Kevin (or anyone that knows :) );

I got the R-134a. Now, I need to be sure that the low side port is the one on the accumulator up by the cooling system surge tank. Thanks again!

Charles

Charles

Yes it is but they are different size fittings so it is impossible to put it on the high side. After reading Bbobynski's post a few days ago, dare I say "idiot proof".

Thanks, Larry! That is a good thing. I think that I am qualified to apply for village idiot many times :lol: . Thankfully, there are people on this forum that know how to properly do things.

Charles

Charles

Yes it is but they are different size fittings so it is impossible to put it on the high side. After reading Bbobynski's post a few days ago, dare I say "idiot proof".

Ranger, what was the post that you are referring to that bbobynski posted to regarding AC, Thanks, Mike

It wasn't regarding A/C. Can't remember the post but it was only couple of days ago and someone said something like when you make something idiot proof, a smarter idiot will come along or something like that. Bboynski's replay was when you make something idiot proof, only idiots will use it. :lol: I can identify with both of those scenario's.

Hey Kevin (or anyone that knows :) );

I got the R-134a. Now, I need to be sure that the low side port is the one on the accumulator up by the cooling system surge tank. Thanks again!

Charles

Yes - the low side port is on the accumulator. If the system won't take the refrigerant, you may need to disconnect the negative battery cable and then hook up the refrigerant to the low side port. Reconnect the negative cable and then start the engine. The refrigerant will then be pulled in before the code returns.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived