CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

my eldo

hi my name is bryan and this is my post. i have a 2002 cadillac eldorado etc.it has the 300 hp engine in it but its not enough power. i found a set of 8 piston and rings from a company called grumpys performance. i also found 4 after market performance cams from a company called chrf. what im asking if anyone knows if theres any other company or any thing else i can do to my 4.6 northstar engine to get more power. does any one make a intake manifold. also what can i do to the transmission. thanks hope to hear from someone soon.

What is the new piston set going to do for you? The stock pistons are already 10:1:1 compression ratio, it was dropped from 10:3:1 to allow for the use of regular fuel with no loss of power.

That company chrf is a high performance Northstar modifier, they do not use the stock PCM, if you change the cams you will have problems with the PCM

Your Northstar is already putting out over 1 HP per cu in. The designer once said, all of the low hanging fruit has been picked, its very expensive to get more horsepower from the engine.

What you could do is open up the exhaust, especially if you can find a way to improve the front to rear crossover, that is a big bottle neck.

Be advised that once you open the top of the engine you must either stud or timesert the block, I would not want to pull Northstar heads unless I had no other choice.

Why do you need more horsepower?Has the engine been tuned up recently, have you checked for muffler back pressure, are you using premium fuel, are you running your tires hard?

Is the check engine light on?, have you checked for codes?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

How fast do you want to go? How much do you want to spend?

I agree with Mike -- performance exhaust is first. Then depending on your state high flow cats help.

There is tuning available now for some years not sure on 2002; it changes year to year when GM changes computers.

You mention the pistons/rings and cams. Have you installed all that on the ETC or just gathered and ready? Did you do a before/after dyno to see where you were at before/after the cam install or piston install that you can share? Love detailed info.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

i have all the patrs allready and the reason for the pistons and rings is to bring the compression back up and the cams will increase the hp greatly. im all ready runing with no cat but the the next thing is to do is to run each pipe seprate from the exhaust manifolds. i also have a new ait that allowes more air into the engine.

i have all the patrs allready and the reason for the pistons and rings is to bring the compression back up and the cams will increase the hp greatly. im all ready runing with no cat but the the next thing is to do is to run each pipe seprate from the exhaust manifolds. i also have a new ait that allowes more air into the engine.

In order to get a higher compression ratio the dome on the piston must be higher. The cylinder head shape was redesigned in 2000, I would be very careful changing to an after market piston design. Is this a tried and successful piston for the northstar?

Read this article by Al Cline, who was on the Northstar Powertrain design team, there is discussion of the redesign that took place in 2000 on the Northstar, this is a very interesting article.

http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue54/EngineBasics.html

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

To take advantage of the custom cams you will either have to go to a custom computer (PCM) or retune the stock PCM.

If you go to a custom computer like CHR Fab uses you'll lose some functionality for info to the dash (?)

HPTuners appears to pickup with the 4.6L in 2006/2007 and after, so won't work for a 2002. TexasJim uses EFI Live on his 06 but they also appear to pick up support starting in 2006.

Bruce

That sounds great. Please share how you get the re-programming done. That has been one of the sticking points for the cars the tuner software don't support is how to tune the PCM.

Bruce

you bought a Cadillac and it sounds like your treating it like a Honda,, these cars arent meant forall that moding there precision built American luxury touring vehicles not japanese tuners... really it would be alot cheaper and more efficient to mod another vehicle the Eldorado is not a sportscar its a touring coupe made for smooth drivng at normal highway speeds along the highways and byways and theres plenty of power there when you need it. these arent drag racers or M3 killers there to big and heavy to compete on the streets to expensive to repair and theres hardly any aftermarket for them because nobody races cadillacs even GMgave up there caddy racing division..I have an Eldo i love it soon as i get it back running i will be out and about in her.. it still turns heads in parking lots next to the beamers and audis. i think before you spend all the money on the eldo turning it into something it was never intended to be you should you shold check out an STSV Cheaper then A CTSV and still packing one powerful northstar. but if yur so determine i believe theres a company that will make custom turbo chargers for the cadillacs. also you want a custom air intake i kno a guy who has one all pimped out even with an intercooler and i beleive his north star puts out 600 hp on the front wheels completly nsane but hes a master mechanic with his own garage it would cost the average joe 30k probably to do that work... dude get a honda and mod your heart out save the caddy for cruisin

wow mr observer wit the 98 eldorado very- input from u. i do not treat my cadillac like a honda. if u want to keep ur car as a cruser then thats ur buss.thanks but keep ur ------- opinions to urself. hope not to hear from u again.

If they are stock pistons you won't increase the compression ratio unless they are pre-2000 pistons and THEN, I would be nervous using them with the redesigned head.

Northstars don't wear the cylinder bores appreciably over the life of the car and the pistons and piston rings will last indefinitely if the oil is changed regularly. The rings can stick in the older ones but there are ways to clear that without taking the engine down.

In summary, I wouldn't even *think* about pulling down a Northstar unless it had a major problem like a blown head gasket or pulled head bolts, something that won't happen if you keep the coolant changed and don't abuse your car (towing, overheating, running with low coolant, running with low oil level, running with the dash warning lights on, etc.).

The simple, legal things you can do are an OBD-complaint low-restriction cat (there are two or three out there, all need some welding), turbo mufflers (stay with stainless steel unless you want to replace them every year or two like the old days), and a good tune-up. The tune-up should include a new AC/Delco air cleaner element and an examination of the ignition system, particularly the plug wires. On some cars, you need to clean out the throttle body and sometimes get lint out of the MAF. Don't buy a low-restriction air cleaner element because they will provide worse overall performance than the AC/Delco air cleaner element. The car is has a designed-in cold air intake that gets its air from behind the left headlight; nobody has ever found a better solution.

Run 5W-30 Mobil 1 for that last hp or two. You will likely get argument from others but I can tell the difference in my car. When it was new, when the dealer changed the oil, twice they put dino oil in it - and I noticed the second I started the car and made them change it.

These things will really wake up an old car. Try it before you start throwing real money at it. The ETC is quite a performer if you keep it in good shape. It was designed to run with the big dogs on the Autobahn, with Z-rated tires and the 120 mph governor taken off. Caddy guaranteed my 1997 ETC go go 150 mph. C&D measured their test car at 145 mph.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thanks for that info i decided not to tear down the engine i done all the nessary tune ups. what is the best power performer programer to use to tune the pcm/ecu? ive allready boxked up the pistons and rings for retern but im going to keep the aftermarket cams and the jet ait mass. there is one problem i do have and i hade a remote start alarm installed and it was put in wrong. it made something in the front wheles want to lock up.i hade it taken out and it runs fine now but the dash i telling me to service the stabilizing system. the car runs very well i think it just needs to be reset.i will have the cams and new fuel injectors put in very soon. after that i will need to re-tune the pcm. witch programer is the best to use?

To fix what was disconnected when you took out the remote start unit, read the OBD codes and post them here. See the link in my signature block for instructions. You begin by pressing <OFF> and <PASS WARMER> simultaneously on the A/C controls for a few seconds until all the dash lights come on, then releasing them. Watch the DIC for the codes and write them down. The process will end with "PCM?" on the DIC. Press <OFF> to re-start the process until you have them all written down. Press <AUTO> or turn off the key to exit the diagnostic mode.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

There was someone who posted a while ago about a guy with a Tech II that would program your Cadillac for performance. You can set the tuning presets and make some changes in the tune. The dealer did it for me in 1998 after I made inquiries about "a chip." I don't think that this will work for aftermarket cams, though. If you want aftermarket cams, you will need an aftermarket PCM, preferably one from the same vendor that is known to be programmable to work with these specific cams. That, of course, won't be street legal because it won't be OBD compliant or pass emissions inspection.

For a good time, browse http://www.chrfab.com

Bryan,

I have retuned my 2006, but I do not know of a programmer for your model car.

Both HP Tuners and EFI Live starts with 2006 model cars.

They will not work with your model.

Good luck on finding one for your model.

Posted Image

There was someone who posted a while ago about a guy with a Tech II that would program your Cadillac for performance. You can set the tuning presets and make some changes in the tune. The dealer did it for me in 1998 after I made inquiries about "a chip." I don't think that this will work for aftermarket cams, though. If you want aftermarket cams, you will need an aftermarket PCM, preferably one from the same vendor that is known to be programmable to work with these specific cams. That, of course, won't be street legal because it won't be OBD compliant or pass emissions inspection.

For a good time, browse http://www.chrfab.com

I was also going to mention this. Some dealers dont want to get into it but it does exist.

My honest opinion, I love the pre 98 cadillacs because I dont find the engine to be lacking power at all.

Maybe it is just me but the change in the transmissions in the 98+ years just doesnt do it for me. They were geared different due to the change of the internal parts.

If you are running with no cats how is your backpressure? also what aree you doing about the emissions?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The Seville had a platform change in 1998 and got 250+ pounds heavier. The 0-60 mph time as measured by C&D went from 6.5 seconds to 6.8 seconds.

I am here. According to Car & Driver (C&D) in 1997, the ETC 0-60 mph time was 6.3 seconds, and I believe that the quarter mile time was 16.1 seconds (this quarter mile time may be the STS). This is corrected to standard conditions, which I believe are sea level with no barometer deviation, outside temperature 68 F, and some typical humidity that I don't recall. You can check their web site for their test conditions and corrections. I doubt that they still have the Eldorado times up because it's been out-of-production since 2003.

At some point the VIN 9 Northstar used in the Touring models went to 320 hp. If that happened before the 2002 went out of production, those models will be a couple of tenths quicker 0-60 mph, particularly if these are the VVT engines. Some reader claimed in a 1998 C&D letter-to-the-editor to have measured a 0-60 mph time of 6.1 seconds, which is possible under good conditions with a particularly good car, tires, and surface. And a timer such as the G-Tech Pro that starts timing as the vehicle starts to move, so that the driver reaction time is not included.

I have a Tech 2 and have no idea what you are talking about using it to 'change' the program for performance.

In the past, we have talked about programming to change the speed limiter..and there is a difference related to final drive ratios....But a Tech 2 does not allow you to go in and tweek any powertrain settings.