CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My Steering ist "KAPUT"

Howdy folks,

I recently had my 1998 Eldorado engine rebuilt, while it was out they noticed the Stabilizer Bar Link on the passenger side was in a bad way rotten rubber and all. (History of passenger side shimmy) I went ahead and had both replaced. Upon receipt of my car Sunday I noticed a heavy feeling in the steering which was near Cadillac perfect before the engine removal and installation and the Stabilizer Bar Links were replaced. It was then suggested that the Power Steering Pump was bad so it was replaced to no avail. I don't know how it went from near perfect to extremely difficult with just what you've read being done. I initially thought the power steering harness came loose during engine reinstallation but we checked by unplugging it and the DIC spelled it out immediately. It's not throwing any codes and the engine is performing wonderfully after the HG replacement and rebuild. If you have any thoughts on the matter I'd appreciate it cause that's not my area and I'm in complete suspense?????

P Christopher :)

Check your power steering hoses. They may be blocked internally due to age and being flexed when the engine was changed.

Old hoses get brittle inside and can break up inside while not showing signs of a external leak.

Britt

Firstly, we'll need to know if any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are present.

Secondly, it would be helpful to know if the problem is at low speed only or at all speeds. Magnasteer increases the power assist at low speeds (for parking etc.) and reduces it at driving speed. A Magnasteer failure will set DTC C1241.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said it's not throwing any codes which is dealer slang for it isn't presenting or registering any codes whatsoever. And yes Magnasteer or variable speed assisted steering is great and I'd love to have it once again but currently it is sluggish at all speeds. Thanks :)

Secondly, it would be helpful to know if the problem is at low speed only or at all speeds. Magnasteer increases the power assist at low speeds (for parking etc.) and reduces it at driving speed. A Magnasteer failure will set DTC C1241.

Regards,

Warren

Thanks for the help. Sometimes it's good to let others tell you what should be obvious. I wish I could think of everything but then I wouldn't need forums? I'll check them and let yall know.

Check your power steering hoses. They may be blocked internally due to age and being flexed when the engine was changed.

Old hoses get brittle inside and can break up inside while not showing signs of a external leak.

i can feel a pulsing thru steering wheel when i make a 90degree turn such as in a parking lot. i have tried another p/s pump but it was used. could it be worn seals or o-rings in rack? fluid is fresh after pump change. or mostly fresh. car does not have filter. i have checked. serp belt is ok and i have checked tensioner. have changed several belt pulleys in the last few years. do not think belt is slipping.

try this for me. verify fluid level is full in the pump. with the idle raised slightly in park, turn the steering wheel lock to lock at least 6 times and see if that helps, Also see if it makes a whining noise. When I install a new pump I always prefill the pump and turn the pulley manually to circulate the fluid. otherwise the pump can burn up off the get go.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I drove it for the first time today and pulled the codes again low and behold the C1241 came up in history but there are still no current codes. What will that mean exactly?

Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said it's not throwing any codes which is dealer slang for it isn't presenting or registering any codes whatsoever. And yes Magnasteer or variable speed assisted steering is great and I'd love to have it once again but currently it is sluggish at all speeds. Thanks :)

Regards,

Warren

I tried what you suggested but no dice :( Since there is a history code of C 1241 I'm thinking something else is wrong. Honestly I don't believe the other pump was bad but had to start somewhere.

try this for me. verify fluid level is full in the pump. with the idle raised slightly in park, turn the steering wheel lock to lock at least 6 times and see if that helps, Also see if it makes a whining noise. When I install a new pump I always prefill the pump and turn the pulley manually to circulate the fluid. otherwise the pump can burn up off the get go.

Also I didn't hear a whining noise.

I tried what you suggested but no dice :( Since there is a history code of C 1241 I'm thinking something else is wrong. Honestly I don't believe the other pump was bad but had to start somewhere.

it is possible. Sometimes if you hold the wheel to the right almost to lock and raise the idle it helps to purge the air.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

You could have a problem with the EVO sensor !

This would cause high steering effort at idle or low speeds.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf10434.htm

(Scroll down)

My truck had this issue even tho its not a Magnasteer.

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

. . . Since there is a history code of C 1241 I'm thinking something else is wrong. Honestly I don't believe the other pump was bad but had to start somewhere.

You sound convinced the pump and hoses are good; that gets us back to the Magnasteer It consists of little more than an actuator valve and two wires connecting the valve to the EBTCM module.

With someone having mucked about pretty severely in your engine compartment, it's entirely possible for some physical damage to have occurred or a connector to have gone forgotten. I'd have a close look at the Actuator Valve electrical connector and the wiring back to the EBTCM (the EBTCM is under the air filter and PCM).

Attached is some info from your Service Manual.

Regards,

Warren

1998 Magnasteer.doc

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'm willing to look at any suspects at this point. EVO etc... The mechanic washed the engine before he returned the car since it had become filthy. He learned the hard way not to spray the coil pack directly. "250.00" OUCH! :fighting0025: I can't help but think something shorted or got wet because it was all fine before I gave it to him. Thanks again to all participants helping to solve my dilemma.

Archived