Sign in to follow this  
johnnyjaws

ac questions

I charged my ac last week thought it was blowing cold till it got really HOT lately when ac is running motor is super quite with clutch engauged. When i turn the ac off i get a loud ringing sound from the compressor is that normel? or are the bearings going? any thoughts on this .

loud ringing either sounds like very small vacumn leak or, possibly overcharged freon.

Think of it like this.

When A/C is on RPM is increased slightly, therefore if it was a vacumn leak it might not show.

The a/c ssystem takes 2.0lbs freon total, and I think 7.5 oz pag oil total. how much do you have in the system? If you have too much it may not leak when it is circulating through the system but when the system is off it may be over pressure and leak from the cmpressor seal

If the noise sounds like loose washers jingling coming from the compressor, then it is your clutch going bad.

Now If the compressor has not been used for awhile it is highly recommended that you cycle the compressor on and off at least 10 to 12 times to work the clutch and burnish the clutch hub, it extends the life and improves compressor performance.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Did you pull a deep vacuum on the system for a minimum of 30 minutes and then charge the refrigerant into the vacuum? If you did not pull a vacuum, there is air in the system which will increase pressures significantly.

The other possibility is the clutch air gap is too close and the "ringing" you are hearing is the clutch face against the rotor assembly. The clutch air gap is easily verified with a set of feelet gages. I think the gap is supposed to be 0.020-0.030".

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

THE CAR WAS SITTING ABOUT A YEAR AND THE AC LINES WERE APART I MAY HAVE PUT TOO MUCH FREON IN IT THOUGH WILL IT HURT IT? forgot the caps lock was on sorry can i adjust the gap my self

Did you put a vacuum pump on the system and vacuum the system for at least 30 minutes?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

No i did not i found out if i drive it for a few miles it quites itself down i put 2 tall cans of freon in it , it blows cool not cold so i put another small can of freon in it and still the same i thought since i had it apart i didnt have to vacum the system does vacuming the system make a huge diffrence?

vacumning makes all the difference. I cant do the store bought cans anymore unless I have a tiny leak, a fresh start absoluutely needs at least 30 minute vacumn cycle, minimum

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

A vacuum must be pulled if for nothing else to evacuate the system of moisture or the system will freeze up and corrode internally.

Furthermore, if the system was OPEN for a year the accumulator/dryer must be replaced as the desiccant that it contains is damaged by the open air, my system was without a charge for 2 years and I replaced mine.

http://www.autoacfor...&threadid=11889

Spend the money and have the job done right, I had mine evacuated an recharged every three years and the system froze you out of the car if you wanted to, but EVACUATING the system MUST be done for proper charging and to remove air and moisture

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I charged my ac last week thought it was blowing cold till it got really HOT lately when ac is running motor is super quite with clutch engauged. When i turn the ac off i get a loud ringing sound from the compressor is that normel? or are the bearings going? any thoughts on this .

You might have a bad bearing or clutch surface on your compressor. I say this because you said it is quiet when the A/C compressor is engaged.

You might have a bad bearing or clutch surface on your compressor. I say this because you said it is quiet when the A/C compressor is engaged.

That's my guess.