CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Deville

kdaddy

At 207 inches long the Deville can't afford much more of a downsizing. Sure we all remember the 85-88 Devilles. (GOD HELP US) But as of right now there similar in length to the 93 Deville. Whenever the next generation Deville come out I hope Cadillac does not try to go after the foriegn market by reducing its size anymore. I feel that if caddy goes any smaller they will alienate a certain market segment. Tell me what you think?

I think you are absolutely right, and i am sure that they know this. As a luxury car manufacturer they still have to compete with cars such as fords crown vic . Downsizing would undoubtedly cost them most of the large vehicle market.

Concur. Of all Devilles, I like the 1980s B/D-body Deville and the 96-99 K-body Deville the best. I REALLY like the 96-99 versions, especially the d'Elegance models. Pure opulence, and very classy looking with the subdued "gold" trim and chrome wheels with the thin white wall tires. Very stately! If I didn't fall in love with the 1990s Seville styling with the then-new '92 model, I'd probably have a 96-99 Deville.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I agree - the current size is good - anything smaller and you will loose sight of your existing market segment.

However, slightly off topic, the bigger issue I have is that more often than not, parking space dimensions have been shrinking. It seems that every new mall development, etc. is sizing their parking stalls for motorcyles or Honda Civics. I am not asking for too much - I just want ot be able to open both driver's and passenger's doors without hitting the car next to me - or more importantly without them hitting me.

I think Insurance companies should keep track of this and go after property developers that are putting in too small parking stalls.

My 2 cents.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

Any time a Cadillac gets smaller, not only will the market segment associated with it get smaller, the car ends up being less noticed on the road. It doesn't stand out. It gets lost in the crowd. It becomes your basic transportation instead of being a Cadillac. Why spend $50,000 on basic transportation? This is the question Cadillac designers should ask themselves. If I want a car to run around in that's cheap and gets lost in the crowd and not noticed on the road, I could get anything else.

What makes a Cadillac such a nice car to own and look at is it's generous size. That's one reason why I don't like the upcoming Sevilles, to me, they remind me of a Ford Focus, instead of being in a class all it's own. Don't get me wrong, a Ford Focus is a nice car, but a Cadillac should not remind me of one. A Cadillac should stand out on it's own and remind me of a Cadillac, not a Ford.

Just my 2 cents, plus tax.... :ph34r:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

They (Ford) still sell their BIG Town Cars Don't they?

Absolutely!!

Lincolns are very hot selling cars, as are Crown Victoria and Mercury Marquis.

People want big cars and I think Cadillac will lose a very good piece of the market everytime their cars get smaller and less noticable although on the other hand, the smaller Cadillacs are drawing in a newer customer as well so maybe it's balancing out for Cadillac, but it's not making most old time Caddy owners happy from what I've heard.

Even Japanese cars have grown larger and larger year by year.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I like my Seville (STS). With mine at the dealer for the trunk leak repairs I'm driving a Deville. Didn't realize how much more room id in them.

Jim White

The only real gripe I have about my Seville is that the driver seat does not go back far enough for me. My legs and arms are not stretched out enough in the car and it makes a long ride uncomfortable and sometimes painful for me. I always find myself squirming in the seat trying to find a comfortable spot as my legs get sore (especially my knees) and sometimes numb with a long ride. Even my arms grow tired because I can't properly position them in relation to the steering wheel because I'm too close.

I never had this problem with my Chevy Celebrity, whose seat would go so far back that I couldn't reach the pedals so I could do a proper adjustment of the seat and I was very comfortable in the Celebrity.

The other gripe I have about my Seville is that I had to train myself to stoop very low to get into the car, need I fracture my skull getting in the car, which I did almost daily when I first got the car.

I've never tried a Deville so I'm not sure if their seats go farther back than in a Seville.

Yes, I'm fairly tall.

I had to train myself to stoop very low to get into the car...

Yes, I'm fairly tall.

Our generation of Seville is very sleek. They were designed during the era when The General felt a good looking car is low to the ground. I tend to agree. There's no other car out there like a 92-97 Seville (in my opinion!). So sleek, so long, so...PERFECT! :)

And yes...you gotta be long and tall! I'm 6'0" and if I put my seat all the way back, I can't really reach the pedals comfortably (can't floorboard the gas). Maybe the increased the track in later models or something?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

There's no other car out there like a 92-97 Seville (in my opinion!).  So sleek, so long, so...PERFECT!  :)

Bingo!!

QUOTE (jadcock @ Feb 10 2004, 09:06 PM)

There's no other car out there like a 92-97 Seville (in my opinion!). So sleek, so long, so...PERFECT!

Bingo!!

I like all em' all from 92 through 04. I have my likes and dislikes with the 92-97 as well as the 98-04.

But as a whole I would of been happy with either one!

Jim White

Archived