CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Seville roof console

I need to know how to remove the roof console on my 97 Seville.

It has the moonroof but the console is different than the one used for the mmoonroof style(confusing I know)

When you have a moonroof the cloth center is supposed to be secured to the console, but removable for manual operation of the moonroof.

When you dont have a moonroof you have a tip down cloth center, it is a sunglass holder.

Mine has the moonroof but the center section pops down like the non moonroof type. Why I dont know.

I have 3 problems.

My moonroof switch is not the original black style, looks like add on, it is loose and looks tacky.

The tabs that are supposed to hold up the center cloth door are broken and the door keeps dropping when I hit bumps.

I have hands free and integrated phone and there is holes to the passenger side (probably for the hands free) but there is also a black thing to the left of the console next to the visor (looks also for hands free)

I am wanting to but the console online but am not sure if I will be able to plug in the OEM style moonroof swtch.

And I dont see the holes in the console I am looking to buy.

Also I do have homelink but I think I remember how to remove the module.

Below is a few pics of the console I am looking to buy, and if need be I can post a few pics of my current console

console3.jpg

console2.jpg

console.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

You have an aftermarket moonroof. If it was put on by the dealer either before sale as a new car or on request of an owner, the unit is the same as OEM. The giveaway is the sunglass holder, which means that your car left the factory without a moonroof.

There is nothing wrong with that. Apparently someone has put in a replacement switch somewhere along the way. The switch for your moonroof may or may not be exactly the same as OEM, but I suspect that it is.

The integrated phone has an extra microphone because Cadillac got complaints about the one behind the tiny slots above the rear-view mirror, so they added a tiny black one that looks like a little snake peeking out from under the roofing. Since you have an analog phone that has no service anywhere any more, I would just pull it back behind the headliner.

The hole for the switch was fabricated in the standard headliner console when the moon roof was installed. You will have to do it again with the new unit. I don't know if there are detents on the back of the plastic or other preparation for the switch, but you could ask the seller for photos.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

wow that is useful. now the pics posted above are of the replacement unit, which has the switch I want(pray it is plug and play)

And I hope to not have to modify anything because it is not the sunglass style I have.

Does this make sense lol?

GM FAN FOREVER

Great news tonight.

I removed the console, I was disgusted. The installer hacked up the console, the switch was loose in its hacked hole, the console was siliconed up.

My question is Why the hell didnt they install the right console instead of hacking up the wrong one. It isnt like these cars dont cme with factory moonroofs.

Here are the pinouts on my seville moonroof

it is a 4 pin.

red/white. ign hot. I think for a lighted switch, even though it doesnt work

Black. Ground supply.

orange. negative output moonroof

white. negative output sunroof.

The factory moonroof pinouts

3 wire

Pink. Negative supply

Dark green. negative output moonroof

light green. negative output sunroof.

So the great news is that I took my spaare factory moonroof switch and wired it to the harness to the add on moonroof, and it works perfect, therefore I can install the console without any moddifications. And even better before I had to hold the button in the direction of the moonroof, and with the factory switch all I have to do is hit the butto and it opens, closes, and vents all by itself.

So even better I bought the console and cant wait to fix it right.

the only thing I cant figure out how to is to remove the homelink module to disconnect the plug from the console

100_2229.jpg

100_2230.jpg

100_2232.jpg

100_2234.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

This is clearly not a dealer installation.

The four-pin connector with one white nylon connector is a standard computer part. That's the standard power supply connector for the older IDE style floppy disks and hard disks in IBM PC compatible computers. The leads have been cut and the pink connectors crimped on.

My 1997 ETC has a dealer-installed sunroof and it has been trouble-free since I bought it. There are two splices under the dash for it in the ignition switch harness, one for "always hot," RED, and one for "hot in run," PNK; I think it's retained accessory power. The main purpose of the "hot in run" connection is to tell the sunroof when you turn the key off. After a few seconds, if the sunroof is open, it closes; opening the driver's door starts the sunroof closing. the only other connection that it needs is a ground.

I have the schematic of the factory sunroof for the 1997 model year on pate 8A-122-0. It shows just two wires outside the sunroof control module, switch, and actuator assembles: ground (BLK), and Retained accesory Power (PNK), which gets power thorough the Accessory Time Delay Relay and the Windows Circuit Breaker in the LH Maxifuse Block.

My GM-approved, dealer-installed, OEM-supplied sunroof is noticeably different from the unit in the FSM, having an additional wire and a time-delay self-closing action after the key is turned off that the factory unit does not. Inside, it is identical to the factory unit except that the standard roof console is retained, and I do have a sunglasses holder.

If I were in your position I would proceed with installing a new factory roof console. As for the sunroof and its switch, I would either find the manufacturer from whatever information I could get from the insides of the unit and try to get their instructions online, and use that as a guide to proceed or have the installation completed by a professional. Or, I would get another sunroof that installed more cleanly. That last opens up the possibility of taking your car and the new console to someone and buying something that works with installation instructions, and possibly even leaving it with their installation department who would complete everything for you.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

But the thing is I already tested the OEM moonroof switch with my moonroof and it works just as the factory one does.

And the moonroof works excellent and everything but the console looks factory, And you can trust me when I say I would definately notice anything different. once I recieve the replacement console it should just be plug and play, like the switch I tested tonight.

Do you happen to know how to properly slide out the homelink module?

I will post pics and more info of my results

Thank you for all of your responses

GM FAN FOREVER

yay, should be getting my replacement console today.

Still unsure how to properly remove the homelink module. they are cake to install but A PITA to remove

GM FAN FOREVER

The Homelite universal garage door opener is quite apparently not ever intended to be removed. Mine is barely removable for car service, and the FSM instructions just say to "pry it out." To me that's a bit like a camping manual telling you to "avoid" rabid wolverines in the tent, but, when presented with one, you *must* deal with it.

lol I couldnt agree more. now the new unit comes with the homelink in it, but I cant unplug the unit without removing it, and I am not comfortable with cutting and splicing

GM FAN FOREVER

If the Homelite isn't blocking screws, just leave it alone. Without it, you will need the cover that comes with roof consoles that don't have the Homelite, and even if you have one, the Homelite looks better.

My garage door openers have later RF frequencies and waveforms than are supported by the Homelite. The Homelite can't step in for either of them because my garage door openers aren't supported by the Homelite. I left it alone because I didn't want to have that cover, even if I could find one, and the Homelite looks fine.

If the Homelite isn't blocking screws, just leave it alone. Without it, you will need the cover that comes with roof consoles that don't have the Homelite, and even if you have one, the Homelite looks better.

My garage door openers have later RF frequencies and waveforms than are supported by the Homelite. The Homelite can't step in for either of them because my garage door openers aren't supported by the Homelite. I left it alone because I didn't want to have that cover, even if I could find one, and the Homelite looks fine.

thats not the problem, I could care less about the homelink. But I cannot completely remove the console because you cant unplug the homelink without first removing it.

And the cover is integrated into the console, it is hinged. It was an optional add on provision, it was more like a promotional on Cadillacs, If you look at the cover on the ones that diddnt get the homelink(even in the 80s) you will see a phone number and how to add the homelink option.

So if you dont have homelink all you have to do is push it into the console till it clicks and your done.

so if you remove the homelink module there is no trim to replace as the cover will shut.

I wll post a few pics tonight to explain further.

GM FAN FOREVER

No need. I didn't recall the fold-in cover. It's been October 1997 since I saw one, after all. Spend your time fixing your car.

My manual simply says to "pry" it out. I suspect that two jeweler's screwdrivers to push back any clamps, and a little ingenuity from there to find a way to pull it out - such as using a crochet hook - will do the trick. I saw a salesman pop one out of another car in the lot in a few seconds to put in my car after I closed the deal for mine, and we were going through the familiarization process where he explained everything while I was putting around the back lots of the dealership. So, I know it's easy - if you know the secret. Sorry, I don't know the secret.

well great news, the console came in, it was mint and complete,

I remembered the trick to removing the homelink module from the console also, SEE pics.

It installed simple,the moonroof is now controlled by the OEM switch, and no more hacked sunglasses holder. the console is much more presentable, I would say worth every penny. I will post my complete pics tomorrow when the weather improves. these are pics of the old console, and the homelink removal

100_2235.jpg

100_2236.jpg

100_2238.jpg

100_2237.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Beautiful! Congratulations on getting through it all with outstanding success. And, you revealed the secret of the Homelite extraction - there is a catch at the bottom that you push back with a tiny screwdriver.

that is correct. the release ends up at the very tip of the console if you turn it upside down. Now that I got my shale console I am going to try to sell my complete black one. It is in great shape but I didnt want to mix colors

GM FAN FOREVER

Beautiful! Congratulations on getting through it all with outstanding success. And, you revealed the secret of the Homelite extraction - there is a catch at the bottom that you push back with a tiny screwdriver.

Homelite removal tool,

a.k.a. 6" Machinist's Ruler ;)

Yep. Nice job, rockfangd.

post-416-130656481898_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

that works too. I just used my finger

With the Machinist's Rule you can pop the Homelite out in an instant without dropping the console. Jims_97 was wondering how the dealer did that.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

cool, I have to ask if there is a difference between the homelink or the homelite module, or is it a typo

GM FAN FOREVER

It's the same module. I think its actually a "GM 3-Channel Universal Garage Door Control" and it's made by Homelite. Or, is it Homelink?

I just checked, and it's HomeLink. They still make garage door openers for all major car makes and models.

I just checked, and it's HomeLink . . .

I can just imagine all those folk web searching for Homelite chainsaws and winding up here thinking, "WTF?" :P

Posted Image

I just checked, and it's HomeLink . . .

I can just imagine all those folk web searching for Homelite chainsaws and winding up here thinking, "WYF?" :P

I have been thinking that ever since this thread started... but I hate to correct someone else's spelling...

Lord knows I make enough of them myself... :) :)

Posted Image

I have been thinking that ever since this thread started... but I hate to correct someone else's spelling...

Lord knows I make enough of them myself... :) :)

Yeah . . . I'm no fan of the spelling/grammar nazis either. Just the same, I edited the 'WYF" in my original post. :D :D :D

Posted Image

Archived