CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96-97 RKE

well I would love to modify this used one I have and try it but I believe I have been told it is vin encrypted to match the car

Section 9K of the 1996 E/K FSM does not indicate that RFA module replacement would require any vehicle-specific programming. The last installation step is to reprogram the transmitters.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really. Well I will modify this unit, install it, reprogram my results and post my results.

I really need to pick up a service manual

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The reprogramming procedure has been posted here many times, lately even by me. Search on "reprogramming."

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I am all too familiar with the programming procedure. I have done it enough times lol

GM FAN FOREVER

My STS has the tape applied as in the picture that Goran posted which is opposite the RFA module - it almost appears like it is a shielding instead of an extension of the antenna. The picture KevinW posted shows the tape applied so it contacts the back of the RFA module. The case of the RFA module appears to be plastic so I'm not sure that location is any better than across the back of the plastic in the trunk.

The drawing rockfangd posted looks nothing like what is in my car. It shows the RFA much higher than the actual location.

The remote on my Fleetwood Brougham had a lot of range when it was new but it is only about 25 feet these days. I tried a new battery and that did not make any difference. I'm thinking a component inside the transmitter drifts in value over time and reduces the transmitting power of the unit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Perhaps the silver tape *is* the antenna, and it's capacitive coupling to the transmitter, which has its terminal(s) just under the plastic surface of the module, by the tape stuck to the module. The tape coming loose from the module would explain the loss of range.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Perhaps the silver tape *is* the antenna, and it's capacitive coupling to the transmitter, which has its terminal(s) just under the plastic surface of the module, by the tape stuck to the module. The tape coming loose from the module would explain the loss of range.

The tape wasn't stuck to the module on my car - it was fastened to the large plastic backer that every other module is attached to.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

thanks. At least it looks just like my 06. Does the foil tape help the reception for you?

I dont think mine has that yet.

It sucks because I had the rear seat back out last year and never looked

GM FAN FOREVER

From the inside photo, it looks like short lengths of the silver tape are used to hold lengths of wire in place on the electronics bay wall. The RFA antenna is not visible in either photograph. Perhaps the antenna is internal to the module, or it is a line to the rear window heating wires or some such.

Here is a shot of the same Electronics Bay Board of a 1996 Concours from inside the trunk

post-15-130932232557_thumb.jpg:

Thanks - that picture shows me the correct position of the tape - someone added it to the wrong side on my STS...

From the inside photo, it looks like short lengths of the silver tape are used to hold lengths of wire in place on the electronics bay wall. The RFA antenna is not visible in either photograph. Perhaps the antenna is internal to the module, or it is a line to the rear window heating wires or some such.

Jim,

There was not an external antenna on the RFA module. Just the power connection. It seems like the tape is a collector for the transmitter signal.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

thanks. At least it looks just like my 06. Does the foil tape help the reception for you?

I dont think mine has that yet.

As far as I know, TSB #63-90-12 must have been handled by the original owner, most likely at a dealer while it was still under warranty. This Concours belongs to a relative, so I have had little opportunity to play with the RKE system, however, my impression is that the range is at least as good as the TSB specification. Note that the foil tape applied to this vehicle does not match precisely the Figure 2 illustration. I would be inclined to pursue a more aggressive solution if time permits.

I wonder why the older remotes don't work like the newer ones????

With mine... I can remote start it when I am in the house or inside a restaurant... then it is cool (or at least cooling), when I get to the car.

In a parking lot... range is probably a couple of hundred feet... AT LEAST...

Posted Image

Archived